Brownish algae growing on sand after 7 years ?

BluePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have anything they can say about this brown/rust color algae that just started growing in my 7 year old 180g reef tank? This is new to me..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 407
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 354

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow do you have? What kind of lighting? How long are they on? Phosphates and nitrate readings? Thats cyano, more then likely one of the questions I asked you in the root of the problem.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly common. I started seeing this when my tank was around 6 years old. In my case, if I stir up the top layer of the sand bed it disappears for a few hours, but comes back if the lights are on. Without analyzing it under a microscope, I can't say exactly what it is.

Did you change salt mix fairly recently? I ask because I had this start up when I switched to RC which has added organics, but can't say for sure if it was this change that started this issue.

Just a theory, but it may be sustained by phosphate released by bacterial action in a calcareous sand bed.

Bokevince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano too.
So brownish cyano like this exist?
I thought it was more reddish (or green).
What is strange is when i put a pump on it, it disappear like dust but come back later with the lights on, so I thougt it was dino...
Maybe I have a mix of cyano, dino and diatoms ...

Blue puffer seems to have the same algaes (brown with air bubbles)

My algaes came, I think, a little time after I put my sand (1 month ago), first on the sand then everywhere...
My tank is young (8 months)...
If someone has some advice to fix this problem, i ll be glad to hear!!!
Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Bokevince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano tends to form 'mats', but there are many different types so can't rule it out.
Yes 'mats' and mines go like dust, different from the red cyano I already had before this algae (red slim was fix with colombo micosydol) then soon after came this algae...

SteelerMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's powdery or dusty, could it be diatoms? Have you added any new equipment to the tank that may have silcates ?

Bokevince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only aragonite sand, i rinsed it before!!!
I think i gonna wait now !!!
Wait and see works sometimes

Phil M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms or Dino flagelites. Not cyano. Start siphoning the sand or replace it.mget a diamond goby, sand sifting starfish, sand sifting snails (nassarias). They will all help.

OP
OP
BluePuffer

BluePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all- Nano Sapiens hi the nail on the head I believe-

Phosphate is a little high and that's not helping at all- I thought it was odd to happen all of a sudden but then I also just did a water change with a new salt mix so that probably didn't help either-

It doesn't appear to be harming anything and the corals are all open and growing well- Fish are fine so I will do another 60 Gall water change , add my phosphate buffer and stir out the sand-

What are everyone's thoughts on removing some of the substrate as well? I am thinking that I have too deep a sand bed which is what I wanted for wrasses a few years ago but at this point I think it's causing more issues than not?

Lastly I need to pull some of my rocks that are infested with aptasia as well- let them dry out and then put them back into my sump to give them life again-- it's the only way I see it helping ;-)

Thoughts?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are doing a true DSB or have animals that need deeper sand, then I find it more manageable to have ~1".

Consider that letting your LR dry out will also kill the benficial bacteria that we rely upon for nitrification/denitrification as well as the periphyton, etc. I have used a thick kalk slurry in a syringe to spot treat/kill off a few here and there, but there are biological controls that can be tried for heavy infestations.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 38 64.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back