BRS Reef saver cycle

ChaseBurke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i set up a new system and used BRS reef saver dry rock. I got the tank wet on the 10th of this month, added a shrimp and dosed microbacter7 until gone. I saw my ammonia jump to .2 on like the 21st and has been there since. I have not seen any signs of nitrite. Just wondering how long it normally takes all I have ever used before has been live rock. Also tank is bare bottom.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i set up a new system and used BRS reef saver dry rock. I got the tank wet on the 10th of this month, added a shrimp and dosed microbacter7 until gone. I saw my ammonia jump to .2 on like the 21st and has been there since. I have not seen any signs of nitrite. Just wondering how long it normally takes all I have ever used before has been live rock. Also tank is bare bottom.
It takes a lot longer with dry rock. You might want to add some more beneficial bacteria. My dry rock cycle took 3 weeks. I would also test for nitrates. Sometimes the conversion from nitrites to nitrates happens so quickly you don’t see it. In your case though, the ammonia hasn’t dropped. What test kit are you using?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back