BRS TV suggestion. Filter sock question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love, love, love your videos on this topic so far, but as they say . . . "Enquiring minds want to know :)"

If you just rinse filter socks every other day instead of replacing and cleaning does that increase, decrease, or keep nitrate and phosphate the same?

For those not familiar with the topic here are my favorite BRS TV investigations on the issue of filter socks:

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... I think the answer to this question is all three depending on a lot of things. If you were doing just this as a means of nutrient export they most definitely will continue to rise. If you are doing this in conjunction with water changes, skimming, growing macro, etc, nutrients will most definitely drop.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love, love, love your videos on this topic so far, but as they say . . . "Enquiring minds want to know :)"

If you just rinse filter socks every other day instead of replacing and cleaning does that increase, decrease, or keep nitrate and phosphate the same?

For those not familiar with the topic here are my favorite BRS TV investigations on the issue of filter socks:

I can't say that we have any filter sock BRStv Investigates episodes on the schedule right now. But, if I had to put my money on one of these options, I would guess that simply rinsing the filter socks would have significantly less impact on helping keep nutrients like nitrates and phosphates low vs removing the dirty sock and replacing it with a clean one.

I'd also argue that keeping a handful of socks on hand and throwing them all in the washing machine with a little bleach every few weeks is much easier than rinsing or cleaning socks by hand anyway. It's sort of a best of both worlds situation if you're using the washing machine and have a few socks on hand :)

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say that we have any filter sock BRStv Investigates episodes on the schedule right now. But, if I had to put my money on one of these options, I would guess that simply rinsing the filter socks would have significantly less impact on helping keep nutrients like nitrates and phosphates low vs removing the dirty sock and replacing it with a clean one.

I'd also argue that keeping a handful of socks on hand and throwing them all in the washing machine with a little bleach every few weeks is much easier than rinsing or cleaning socks by hand anyway. It's sort of a best of both worlds situation if you're using the washing machine and have a few socks on hand :)

Not to outright highjack OP's thread, but on the note of mechanical filtration, one thing I would love to see is a comparison of automatic fleece roller mat performance. While many do look similar, some have very different design philosophies. Take for instance the clarisea is a typical design, then you have the theiling which is a wheel, then you have the drop in filter sock holder option, and lastly you have the one Ryan uses from Royal Exclusiv that has an incline to their fleece instead of a complete vertical fleece design.

Test appears to be pretty simple in my mind. Get a tank, install each of the roller mats one by one. Using constant flow (no random modes), then put in some kind of debris (artificial or natural) and see how much remain in the system. Obviously the debris that gets trapped at the bottom of the roller and not "rolled" out would not count as removal.

Just some food for thought :)

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been reefing for over 2 decades and was an adamant "no sock" guy for years. I only started using filter socks in April of this year when I set up a 22 gallon nano in my kitchen. It came with a sock and a sump to hold it. I use all the standard methods: water changes, cheato, GFO, and biologic media to control nitrates and phosphates. To me socks only serve to polish the water. They do not serve to reduce nutrients. Also a key element is my lovely and loving wife who said, and I quote, "you'll put filter socks in our laundry machine over my dead body" end quote. Lastly I rinse the socks in less than 30 seconds so not sure about the time saving issue. Plus where do you store stinky used socks whilst waiting for a pile to accumulate?

Anyways, I just want to say that the BRS videos have transformed the hobby providing factual evidence in countless areas. If Nobel Prizes were up to me you guys would get one for sure. :D

Lastly, I can't help but plug myself so you don't think I'm just some wannabee reefer with a crackpot idea. Been doin' this a while, and I fully intend to do as you did and take PO4 readings daily while testing my own nano so I should have some good data to share eventually.

2011.Zenith.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 58 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back