BRStv Investigates idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see if BRStv Investigates could use their infinite contacts and resources to design or have a company design a new optic lens for LEDs to test out. I understand BRS is not into R&D but with their influence in the business I'm sure this could be a doable, possibly groundbreaking investigative idea. At the very least maybe this will get to the people that will test it out. Just looking to advance our hobby.

The biggest downfall with LED lighting is the shadowing and kaleidoscope effects. I do not see why manufactures have not fixed this simple problem. Metal halides use reflectors to disperse light, why can't LEDs do that and solve the kaleidoscope effect also?
The simple fix would be to use a material that is dimpled like the old MH reflectors and make it smaller and universal like a optic. The key to do this is to have it somewhat resemble an old satellite dish.
1566404517926.png

The blue area would be cut out and the LED would be in that spot and the red area would be a small reflector to bounce the light to the bigger reflector.
This seems cheap and permanent. Basically a big optic lens.

Thanks, Michael

Cyricdark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see if BRStv Investigates could use their infinite contacts and resources to design or have a company design a new optic lens for LEDs to test out. I understand BRS is not into R&D but with their influence in the business I'm sure this could be a doable, possibly groundbreaking investigative idea. At the very least maybe this will get to the people that will test it out. Just looking to advance our hobby.

The biggest downfall with LED lighting is the shadowing and kaleidoscope effects. I do not see why manufactures have not fixed this simple problem. Metal halides use reflectors to disperse light, why can't LEDs do that and solve the kaleidoscope effect also?
The simple fix would be to use a material that is dimpled like the old MH reflectors and make it smaller and universal like a optic. The key to do this is to have it somewhat resemble an old satellite dish.
1566404517926.png

The blue area would be cut out and the LED would be in that spot and the red area would be a small reflector to bounce the light to the bigger reflector.
This seems cheap and permanent. Basically a big optic lens.

Thanks, Michael
The biggest problem is that LEDs output light in a single direction from the chip typically in a 120 degree Arc unlike T fives or metal halides which light in a 360 degree Arc therefore they use reflectors to angle the light back down into the tank LEDs this is not necessary and wouldn't do any good if you added it in their current configuration if someone ever came out with an LED that Lit in a 360 degree Arc kind of like those vintage LED bulbs do then a reflector would accomplish what you're saying but with the current incarnation of LEDs it wouldn't have any function.

OP
OP
Silent

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont you think an optic shaped like that could reduce shadowing and the kaleidoscope effect? Current LEDs have those negative traits unless supplemented with t5.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont you think an optic shaped like that could reduce shadowing and the kaleidoscope effect? Current LEDs have those negative traits unless supplemented with t5.

No, because as the previous person said, LED chips don't put out light backwards or to the side.

U

User1

View Badges
No, because as the previous person said, LED chips don't put out light backwards or to the side.

But some manufactures are offering a lens. Kessil does and it changes up the A360X a bit from what reports I've read. Others use a diffuse type device. Even the DIY Blue Acros I have use a lens. Not sure if this would be really worth it since it is more on the manufacture side of things. Even when i didn't have a lens I used polished aluminum to make my own reflector similar to what I used back when I had 175W MH in 2000.

OP
OP
Silent

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe my drwing and explation is not clear. If there is a reflector in front of the led to redirect the light around to the back larger reflector it would spread the light in a much greater area.

U

User1

View Badges
Maybe my drwing and explation is not clear. If there is a reflector in front of the led to redirect the light around to the back larger reflector it would spread the light in a much greater area.

Ah, I got it. My error :) I'm not sure that would be possible because how the LED's direct light in front of it. So if you take your hand for example and put it in front of the chip / emitter it would actually block it. Which I believe others indicated.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered about the same sort of thing in the past, shining up into a reflector however I now think panels like the orphek will lead the way forward for coverage and shading prevention that is covered by multichips for blending. Eventually evolving into something like a laptop screen over the tank that is the area of the tank and a uniform color all over.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back