Bubble algae control - Mag or Phos?

addlime8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of bubble algae and today I plan on taking each rock out and trying to get them off the best as possible without popping them. I currently do not have a phosphate reactor, just some phosbgone in a filter sock and doesn't seem to be doing much. I heard that increasing magnesium levels also helps prevent bubble algae, is this true?

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've tried taking mg up to 1600, never affected the bubble algae. I have read that PO4 has little effect on its growth as well. To my knowledge manual removal is all that works :(

holdyourlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO will not remove bubble algae, either will rasing mag. Like HndMafia said, the only way to remove it is manually, which means you or a fish! (desjardani tang works best)

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you can try a sally lightfoot crab, they have been known to eat bubble algae. IMO I would do this before adding unnecessary mag or phos. Could also try a Desjardini tang like Light said.

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are taking the rock out, just use super glue. Put super glue over the bubble algae, and dip in saltwater. It causes the bubble to harden, and is easier to remove. I've done that, and it's much easier to get rid of them that way.

jestr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know in my nano i had my emerald crab did nothing... but my rose urchin ate it all up

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that Mithrax crabs will help. I've never tried it myself though.

OP
OP
A

addlime8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sailfin would be to big for my tank. I got a foxface but he won't touch the stuff, even when there is a floating ball he darts for it but immediately turns away when his mouth touches it. I've tried emerald crabs and they didn't touch the stuff, only coral. I also tried a long spine urchin but nothing either. I have massive amounts =/ I will do manual removal, but I wish it would just be gone for good.

CookieJar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in same boat, added a handful (4-6) of Emeralds and haven't seen them make a dent. Maybe they eat a little here & there, but I've got so many the only solution that's worked for me is manual removal. :sad:

jestr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
emeralds from my understanding are a luck of the draw all the ones i had never ate the bubble.. as i stated befor the only thing i had that ate it was an urchin

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think emerald crabs eat them unless they are really really tiny. Once the bubble algae gets so big they cant eat it. My yellow tang would eat it. I had had horrible outbreak. You couldnt see the rocks thru the thick patches of bubble algae. I pulled the rock out and scrubbed it off and rinsed it. Was difficult to do with coral on it, but I managed to do it without loosing anything. I did not get it all but I picked them off the rocks with long pointed tweezers carefully in the tank and either my yellow tang would eat them or they would get caucht in the slots in the power head covers and I would pick them off of there. Its taken some time, but the bubble algae is almost gone. You have to really look to find one now. Just be persistant and keep manually removing it. You can beat it!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back