Bubble Magus Curve 7 for 50 gallon system

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a system which totals about 50-55 gallons. I currently am only running filter floss and nutrients have been fine for a while but I am slowly upping the bioload of the tank and nitrates have been on the high side for a while and phosphates are also slowly picking up as of late.

I have someone local to me selling a Bubble magus curve 7 which is rated for 200 gallons. Would that skimmer be overkill for my tank? I don't mind running it at night only if necessary, I just want a reliable way to remove organics in the tank when needed without relying on gfo and other media.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a system which totals about 50-55 gallons. I currently am only running filter floss and nutrients have been fine for a while but I am slowly upping the bioload of the tank and nitrates have been on the high side for a while and phosphates are also slowly picking up as of late.

I have someone local to me selling a Bubble magus curve 7 which is rated for 200 gallons. Would that skimmer be overkill for my tank? I don't mind running it at night only if necessary, I just want a reliable way to remove organics in the tank when needed without relying on gfo and other media.
I think it would be overkill. Have you considered an algae turf scrubber?

OP
OP
M

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be overkill. Have you considered an algae turf scrubber?
I have, but in my mind a skimmer would be easier to manage in the sense that I could set it to operate during a certain time period to adapt to my bioload, while I would have a harder time doing that with the scrubber.

It would work fine, those skimmers are budget friendly and not rated too accurate if you ask me.
I figured as much. I also plan on running it mostly at night to help oxygenate the tank, maybe 3d print a co2 scrubber media holder for it to draw air from to help with ph.

OP
OP
M

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got you. ATS is also tune-able, just change the photoperiod. my $0.02
What would be the benefit over skimmer?
Skimmer pros: oxygenation, larger particulate removal, easy to control the amount of nutrients removed.
ATS: Removal of harmful elements? Outcompete algae?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally run both. If dissolved nitrates and phosphates are your primary concern, it seems to me that ATS is a more natural/gentler way to target these organics. Obviously the skimmer can remove other things from the water, as you stated. I generally rarely have to empty my skimmer cup more than once every 2 weeks or so, and during the same time period I harvest a thick (.5") solid mat off hair algae from the turf scrubber mesh. I'm not arguing against the skimmer option whatsoever, just offering my experience. I can attest to the "tune-ability" as I did run into bottoming-out nitrates, and reducing the photo period of the scrubber (which I run counter to the display lights for supposed Ph balancing) brought the numbers back up. BRS did a decent analysis on scrubbers vs skimmers as well:

OP
OP
M

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing will work great. I have the Curve 5 elite on an 80 gallon display and my system volume is probably 160 gallons +. It skims straight snot. I've never seen skimmate so thick.
I would have favored the curve 5 over the 7 since I have a smaller system but I can't find one locally. Good to hear that it works good for you!
I personally run both. If dissolved nitrates and phosphates are your primary concern, it seems to me that ATS is a more natural/gentler way to target these organics. Obviously the skimmer can remove other things from the water, as you stated. I generally rarely have to empty my skimmer cup more than once every 2 weeks or so, and during the same time period I harvest a thick (.5") solid mat off hair algae from the turf scrubber mesh. I'm not arguing against the skimmer option whatsoever, just offering my experience. I can attest to the "tune-ability" as I did run into bottoming-out nitrates, and reducing the photo period of the scrubber (which I run counter to the display lights for supposed Ph balancing) brought the numbers back up. BRS did a decent analysis on scrubbers vs skimmers as well:

What is your setup like? Is it only tumbling chaeto or a fully plumbed scrubber with the removable mesh and such?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have favored the curve 5 over the 7 since I have a smaller system but I can't find one locally. Good to hear that it works good for you!

What is your setup like? Is it only tumbling chaeto or a fully plumbed scrubber with the removable mesh and such?
This is what I use. Super simple, drop it in the sump like a skimmer. I sanded the mesh with coarse sandpaper to help algae adhere. Turn off the pump, unscrew the Union and the mesh is easily removable for cleaning (I scrape it off with an old credit card)
IMG_4262.png

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a good price then I would get it. Its a great unit, and I believe bigger is usually better. Besides you can set it to dry skim if you feel its too much, but the oxygenation benefit makes it invaluable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a good price then I would get it. Its a great unit, and I believe bigger is usually better. Besides you can set it to wet skim if you feel its too much, but the oxygenation benefit makes it invaluable.
You mean dry skim? Wouldn't wet skimming remove more particulates?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back