Bugs on acros, ID please

Stick-y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I tried to take pictures of bugs crawling on some acros in my tank. The pictures are a bit blurry, hopefully someone will be able to identify those critters. I hope it's not black bugs :s
DSC_2219.JPG
DSC_2221.JPG
DSC_2222.JPG
DSC_2224.JPG DSC_2228.JPG

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably aren't black bugs, but are definitely looking like red or white bugs, I remember one needs a higher dose of interceptor but idk which one, anything crawling on coral tissue is never a good sign, I'd wait for someone who knows a little more about this than me though, @ISpeakForTheSeas?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pics are actually pretty good - I'd say there's a good chance these are coral-parasitic pods (Black/Red/White/Gray "Bugs"), yeah. If you've been seeing sudden decline in these corals, these would be a prime suspect in my book.
Yeah, white bugs, red bugs, black bugs, etc. (coral-parasitic pods) will almost exclusively be found on their host corals. For more info on these and for some closer up pics/drawings:

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look very similar to acro eating flatworms... im dealing with them currently. If you can pull the colony out and see if you can blow them off with a turkey baster for positive I'd that would be best. Isolate one and use a macro to get a pic.

Bayer will help with most common acro pests but it requires a few weeks of consistency to dip them and get rid of them... you have to break the reproductive cycle and clean them all up.

OP
OP
S

Stick-y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pics are actually pretty good - I'd say there's a good chance these are coral-parasitic pods (Black/Red/White/Gray "Bugs"), yeah. If you've been seeing sudden decline in these corals, these would be a prime suspect in my book.
Thanks !
The decline is more subtle than sudden, some of these corals have less PE or less colors. I can see those bugs moving on some acros with my eyes. I will start a treatment with Interceptor 3 pills/100Gallons, they all survived the first time with a milder dosage.

OP
OP
S

Stick-y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look very similar to acro eating flatworms... im dealing with them currently. If you can pull the colony out and see if you can blow them off with a turkey baster for positive I'd that would be best. Isolate one and use a macro to get a pic.

Bayer will help with most common acro pests but it requires a few weeks of consistency to dip them and get rid of them... you have to break the reproductive cycle and clean them all up.
Sadly, I dipped all those pieces in something similar but I didn't see anything after. Those corals aren't "bitten" so I don't think I'm facing AEFW. Thanks !

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a microscope asap, looks like a grey bug and the symptoms sound similar. Also notice the red dot on the head, millies first to look off? Dip the acro with least polyp extension in KCL, likely will be hundreds of grey dots. Put one under the microscope, and see if it looks like this.
IMG_4619.jpg

Pictured is Alteuthellopsis Corallina they will kill the acro in high numbers, treat with high dose of interceptor let me know if you need details.

OP
OP
S

Stick-y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a microscope asap, looks like a grey bug and the symptoms sound similar. Also notice the red dot on the head, millies first to look off? Dip the acro with least polyp extension in KCL, likely will be hundreds of grey dots. Put one under the microscope, and see if it looks like this.
IMG_4619.jpg

Pictured is Alteuthellopsis Corallina they will kill the acro in high numbers, treat with high dose of interceptor let me know if you need details.
I sent you a pm. I just dipped one millie and they were hundreds grey dots :x

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back