Bullet 3 protein skimmer

Novsublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to saltwater aquarium and I have had my 55 gallon tank going for 5 weeks now. I added to clownfish a week ago. I just put on the bullet 3 protein skimmer and it’s just creating a lot of micro bubbles and the skim cup is just filling with water and overflowing. Is this just normal breaking in or is it something else. Thanks! Hopefully someone has some experience with this

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fairly normal for skimmers to overflow and create tons of micro bubbles when you first set them up. I don't have hands-on experience with this particular model, but you'll want to try adjusting a combination of the water flow and air. On most skimmers you typically want it bubbling foam below the bottom of the collection cup (over time it will build up some skim on the neck and make it easier for the foam to travel upwards).

AjayCray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to saltwater aquarium and I have had my 55 gallon tank going for 5 weeks now. I added to clownfish a week ago. I just put on the bullet 3 protein skimmer and it’s just creating a lot of micro bubbles and the skim cup is just filling with water and overflowing. Is this just normal breaking in or is it something else. Thanks! Hopefully someone has some experience with this
Hey, did you ever solve this? I'm trying to set mine up atm and the collection cup fills up so quick and overflowing as well!!

OP
OP
N

Novsublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, did you ever solve this? I'm trying to set mine up atm and the collection cup fills up so quick and overflowing as well!!
Unfortunately I didn’t. I ended up returning it after a couple attempts. I was told to just let it go for a few days and it would break in but I gave it 48 hours and between the micro bubbles and overflowing I just didn’t think it was worth the trouble.

Miguel.PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, this reply was previously given to another member:

It is a new skimmer, it will take some days to tune in, so give it some time,
some questions:
1- Did you raise the collection cup to the highest possible?
2- Did you insert an air valve on the air intake so you can control the amount of airflow that gets into the skimmer? A piece of compacted cotton in the air valve entrance might help too.

Keep us posted!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back