Buying fish for first tank, LFS has Ich.

OP
OP
M

Mrj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyone's responses, Thank You.

Update
I got the fish and added them straight to my display. I know some of you will think I'm an idiot and that is okay. I went in yesterday to check on them, the fish store said I could take them home. They looked to be in excellent condition. My quarantine wasn't ready, and I didn't want to stress them even more with a freshwater dip. I could have waited to bring them home until the QT was ready, I chose not to.

Fish health
Both fish are eating pellets really well, even on the first day which was surprising. One of the fish had some stringy white poop after adding to the tank. Its possible they were eating a lot of mysis, it is also possible they weren't being fed much at all. Both could have caused it. I am also aware it could be an internal parasite. I have PraziPro and Cupramine on hand. I am observing the fish closely. If they start showing signs of internal parasites I will does PraziPro into the Display tank. My QT tank will be up and running this week, so if the show signs of ich I will move them to QT for 76 days and treat with copper. I realize it is likely my DT now has ich, it is only a 13.5 gallon and these may very well be the only fish to go in.

Ammonia and Nitrite are still reading zero. The tank was well cycled but I dosed a little MicroBacter7 Yesterday and today just too be sure.

C30994AD-53A1-418D-B61E-F6145EFA65A1.jpeg DBA9F9A5-100E-4490-8143-81DAF8382E1D.jpeg

Last edited:

TheReaperOfMars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they start showing signs of internal parasites I will does PraziPro into the Display tank.
The white stringy poop already is a sign. No need to wait for any other signs. Probably want to feed medicated food. I use API General Cure bound to the food with Seachem Focus.

OP
OP
M

Mrj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white stringy poop already is a sign. No need to wait for any other signs. Probably want to feed medicated food. I use API General Cure bound to the food with Seachem Focus.
From the research I have done I am under the impression stringy white poop alone is not a good indication of internal parasites.

TheReaperOfMars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the research I have done I am under the impression stringy white poop alone is not a good indication of internal parasites.
In my experience stringy white poop is the best indication. What other things are you waiting for? It really doesn't hurt anything to treat for internal parasites.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you have copper and prazipro why didn’t you do quarantine? I bought a blue tang from my respected lfs. 3 days later she was covered in ich. You have no idea where these fish have been or whom they’ve been with

OP
OP
M

Mrj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you have copper and prazipro why didn’t you do quarantine? I bought a blue tang from my respected lfs. 3 days later she was covered in ich. You have no idea where these fish have been or whom they’ve been with
As I said in the original post. The tank is not ready, and I chose not to.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so. I’m sure many will agree. No need to cycle a qt tank In an emergency. If the fish are sick you get them over ASAP abd medicate. But however if you qt correctly from the. Beginning than there will be no rush.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing like jumping in naked...
To each his own. If you are happy that is what matters. Best of luck hopefully they do well. Ich is not always a death sentence and if they are the only two fish just ride the lightening.

OP
OP
M

Mrj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, sadly one of them died. The first day they were both eating. I noticed the one that died had some white stringy poop. The next day he was breathing very fast and I noticed a few small white dots on his fins. His colors faded and his skin had a weird look to it. He started laying on the bottom, only made it a couple hours after that. It happened extremely fast. Sounds to me like he had several issues. The other one however is doing excellent for now. He is eating well, swimming around, and breathing normally. My hospital tank is almost ready I am going to treat the surviving fish and leave the DT fish less for 76 days.

TheReaperOfMars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unfortunate that a fish had to die, but use this as a learning opportunity going forward. Always quarantine. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lucky or doesn't know what they're talking about

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input everyone. I am seriously considering an extremely cheap 10g quarantine tank and treating with copper. I am also thinking about the fact that the snails I already added could have been carrying ich or other parasites and they may now be in my tank. Seems like the best option is to quarantine new fish for 2-4 weeks. That way any ich in my tank carried by the snails will die with no fish to attach too, and any ich on the new fish will die as well. Leaving me with a parasite free system.
Petco has the $1 a gallon sale right now. Cheap way to set up a quick QT

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.2%
Back