Cal and Alk Question

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello- I have been running my 90g mixed reef for almost 1 yr now with out dosing. I try to test all my parameters at least once a day if possible.

How do I know how much cal and alk to dose to my tank everyday to keep my parameters stable.

I also want to start dosing because 45 gallon water changes once or twice a month can get pricy.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- I have been running my 90g mixed reef for almost 1 yr now with out dosing. I try to test all my parameters at least once a day if possible.

How do I know how much cal and alk to dose to my tank everyday to keep my parameters stable.

I also want to start dosing because 45 gallon water changes once or twice a month can get pricy.
If you are measuring daily, you should already know what your tank is consuming of those elements. As I understand it, perfect dosing replaces what is used in a certain period without letting levels rise or fall.

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are measuring daily, you should already know what your tank is consuming of those elements. As I understand it, perfect dosing replaces what is used in a certain period without letting levels rise or fall.
Yes, sorry i am new to dosing. I am just confused how to know how much ML to dose for every certain amount of cal or alk consumed during the day. (if that makes sense)

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sorry i am new to dosing. I am just confused how to know how much ML to dose for every certain amount of cal or alk consumed during the day. (if that makes sense)

Since you test daily, you should see how much the tank consumes in a specific period, usually a week. Then use that number and divide it by 7. That's your daily uptake. Then use the directions on the dosing containers from whatever manufacturer you decide to go with. They usually break it down on the directions side of the container. It'll start off with "1 ml of this solution will increase the (dkh, Ca, Mg) in one gallon of salt water by x ppm". Then just take that number divide it by your total water volume and that's how much 1 ml of solution will raise the macro nutrient in your tank.

For example: you have a 90 gallon tank that uses 7 ppm of Ca a week. This means that your daily uptake is 1 ppm. So when you make the solution, just find out how many ml are needed to increase Ca by 1 ml and dose that every day. Every brand is different so the directions might be different but the concept is the same.

Here is also a calculator that is referenced in other posts:

It has most brands to choose from this should make it easier.

Hope this helped.

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since you test daily, you should see how much the tank consumes in a specific period, usually a week. Then use that number and divide it by 7. That's your daily uptake. Then use the directions on the dosing containers from whatever manufacturer you decide to go with. They usually break it down on the directions side of the container. It'll start off with "1 ml of this solution will increase the (dkh, Ca, Mg) in one gallon of salt water by x ppm". Then just take that number divide it by your total water volume and that's how much 1 ml of solution will raise the macro nutrient in your tank.

For example: you have a 90 gallon tank that uses 7 ppm of Ca a week. This means that your daily uptake is 1 ppm. So when you make the solution, just find out how many ml are needed to increase Ca by 1 ml and dose that every day. Every brand is different so the directions might be different but the concept is the same.

Here is also a calculator that is referenced in other posts:

It has most brands to choose from this should make it easier.

Hope this helped.
Thank you this helped a lot

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, 50% water changes every two weeks is excessive. I dont see why you should be going above 10% ever 2 weeks unless you're trying to get rid of or correct nutrient levels.

Because of the advancements made in the reefing industry, I think water changes can be pushed back to once a month maybe even more. It all depends on your preference but definitely, in my opinion, 50% water changes every two weeks is excessive.

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, 50% water changes every two weeks is excessive. I dont see why you should be going above 10% ever 2 weeks unless you're trying to get rid of or correct nutrient levels.

Because of the advancements made in the reefing industry, I think water changes can be pushed back to once a month maybe even more. It all depends on your preference but definitely, in my opinion, 50% water changes every two weeks is excessive.
i usually do 50% every month

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, quit with the liquid two part dosers. They are designed to be confusing to keep customers buying this rip off junk. Its just the ingredients below dissolved in water in a fancy bottle.

Calcium chloride and baking soda (alk) are powder form. Much easier to determine how much you need with the linked reef calculator if they are in powder form. You can then add it to a jug of water and dose what you want.

I typically advise people to keep Calcium 400-450, or whatever is closest to what your salt mix is. Unless you have a lot of SPS Calcium might not drop much over a week or even a month. In that case a 20% water change once a month will keep it up without dosing.

Alk on the other hand tends to deplete faster. Its just baking soda to correct. The reef calculator will show you how much. 8-9 dKH is fine.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 106 76.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back