Calcium and Alk

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, everyone! I have been in the happy for almost 9 years, but have never had real success with corals. I get lps to stay alive, but was young and lazy when I started and didn't test like I should have been. I decided to change that and want to start manual dosing. Just used hanna checkers for the first time and my calcium was 420, while my alk dkh was 15.

Can someone point me in the right direction for dosing I know I need to add calcium, but not sure how much

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id stop dosing alk completely and let it come down slowly. The ocean alk is about 6.5 or 7 dkh as far as I know, so 15 is super high.

Calcium at 420 isnt bad, you can just look into the BRS reef calculator or other online reef calculators, pick a calcium media, and then dose the amount suggested based on your tank size to go from 420 to 440ppm

Also, measure your magnesium too from time to time. Target 1420 or so, and it will help you maintain ALK and CA in balance.

Good luck, the numbers that I gave are just what works for me, others may target differently, but those should be a good start.

OP
OP
DcoarM

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been dosing. Been maybe 2 years since I dosed. Was thinking I should dose CA to get ALK to come down. Is that correct?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%

Back