Calling all SPS experts! Cracking the case of the missing polyp extension and stalled growth!

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by WDKegge, Jan 13, 2017.

1. WDKegge

WDKegge Active Member

Pretty much, nothing I did seemd to bring it back to how it once was.

2. biecacka

biecacka Active Member

surprised no one mentioned more flow. Look at WWC and the amount of the flow they have on their frag tanks. but will be looking for the rebuild

corey

3. Mattrg02

Mattrg02 Valuable Member

I see it get mentioned, but it’s never the problem. I have 100x turnover in my tank and still have zero PE from my acros.

4. biecacka

biecacka Active Member

Interesting. I just see it get mentioned a lot as you said you do too. I never get PE either but I don't have a 100x turnover either. But I do have dwarf angel fish which could be responsible

5. Mattrg02

Mattrg02 Valuable Member

I’ve yet to see anyone come back with good news. Just that their corals just died after some time. Now, removing an angel fish always is the fix.

6. biecacka

biecacka Active Member

mine have actually grown well.
    i love the angel fish and could not imagine even trying to catch them in the tank.

corey

7. Mattrg02

Mattrg02 Valuable Member

Your very luck that your angel doesn’t pick on your corals then. I’ve lost count of all of the scenarios involving no PE and an angel of some sort.

8. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Acropora Junkie R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award

Pests were ruled out??

I didn't realize it was a revived thread/post, I was going to say to add some ME Polyp extender and sit back while the polyps blow up LOL

My acros (polyps) went insane when I first gave it a try but gradually acclimated to the new nutrients and subsided a bit.

Sorry to read things never turned around- :(

9. sghera64

sghera64 Active Member

@WDKegge, have you noticed any changed in your chaeto in the refugium (like die off, or loss of dark green color)?

10. Mattrg02

Mattrg02 Valuable Member

What’s this polyp extender?

11. 2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly Active Member R2R Supporter

Keeping nitrates in my tank and dosing trace elements has changed my SPS keeping life for the better! :)

I never ever saw any benefit to keeping my nitrates super low other than worrying about my alk jumping and burning my sps.... never ever again. My fish love me for it because they are going to need jenny craig before you know it!

12. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Acropora Junkie R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award

Its a product by "ME Corals" not to down play it, but its "another" amimo acid.

Over the years every amino Ive tried has great results initially but over time the corals(acro's that is since that's all I do)just seem to revert to the same as they were before.... gorgeous :)

Every 1-2 years a new kid moves into the neighborhood and tauts to be the newest greatest elixer so I gotta try it.

Some use the term "snake oil" LOL but if you're lacking some polyp extension give it (ME Corals) a shot, or acro power, or Elos, or Red Sea or, or, or.......

Sorry for the long answer ;)

Sabellafella likes this.
  13. Sabellafella

Sabellafella Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Have you had any unexpected temp swings in the past?

14. Mattrg02

Mattrg02 Valuable Member

Ahh. Aminos. I’ve been dosing Acropower with zero observed results. I keep dosing because, I have it sitting there.

15. biecacka

biecacka Active Member

Matt,
    I am not saying for sure that the fish doesn't nip at the coral. I'm just saying if they do, hey don't when I'm around :mad:. Either way, I seem to get decent growth and have began to feed more to appease the fish, and in return, I seem to see some polyps showing up. They aren't fully extended, but seem to be more present than previously.

Corey

16. Mattrg02

Mattrg02 Valuable Member

They always wait till you’re not looking :)

Feeding them more might have been the trick. I want a flame angel or a coral beauty so bad, but I also want WD acros and the like. :-(

17. biecacka

biecacka Active Member

Matt, I know your pain sir. I want those same nice acros in my tank.

Corey

18. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

When corals are happy, 2-3% can be an insane and sudden change. 10% at once? That's crazy. It could be a lot of other stuff, and maybe this was mentioned before in the three pages.. But flags don't come more red than this.

You should be doing no more than 1-2% per week man. And some corals can't handle that 1% at once either.

19. scardall

scardall Valuable Member R2R Supporter

I would check you Nitrates, because O ppm is not really a good thing. After a time I recently did a dosing process of Nitrate for an experiment. I added Nitrates for a 1ppm/60gallons dose every other day or two. Am now getting polyp extension improvement. exp/ still in progress 5 days so far. Will do a battery of tests this weekend. I'm using sodium nitrate(Reagent Grade) I get it off Amazon. Solution Mix for .8ppm/gallon concentration : 8oz. RODI Water + 2.5g Sodium Nitrate(Mix till crystals are all gone) ( Did the math for 60g single dose (1ppm) 37.5ml) Now remember this 1ml solution/2 gallons water = .8ppm Also 10grams of sodium nitrate will make 1 liter of solution Good luck

20. Mattrg02

Mattrg02 Valuable Member

Plenty of people increase lighting by much more than 1-2% per week.

When acclimating new frags by moving them up the rock work, who is able to move them by 1/4in at a time so as to not go up by more than 1-2%?

Draft saved Draft deleted