Came up with a funny shark tank idea...

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a funny idea for a shark tank this morning, which involves a wide but low table - like shallow water setup(30 - 40cm tall) that you can reach down and touch the bottom. The aquarium has a thick substrate and is planted with thickets of salt - tolerant bamboo, which serves as hides for a singular or a pair of bamboo sharks(chiloscyllium plagiosum or C. griseum). If insufficient, rocky hides will also be provided, which may or may not be seeded with coral. The aquarium is exposed to sunlight to promote plant growth and apply supplementary light to corals. The aquarium is stocked with small, cursorial fish such as certain tangs, chromises and wrasses, gregorious fish such as cardinals and ocean catfish, plus one or two horseshoe crabs for the funny. Would invoke a sort of mangrove estuary vibe and also act as a touch pool, plus the bamboo handles the vast waste load from the shark. Size would be around 2m*3m, about the size of a dinner table. The bamboo can also hold up a net that prevents the shark from escaping.

This isn't intended as a serious proposition, just something silly that would be cool to do. But I would like some criticism on whether this kind of tank is actually feasible or is there a problem with either the stocking or the design, such as bamboo that tolerate salt not existing(I'm not sure whether there is a species like this but I sure hope it exists), shark ripping apart even large horseshoe crabs, or bamboo releasing toxins. Plus, I love reading discussions in this forum to be informed in the intricacies of marine biology and reef chem.

Sorry about essentially spam - posting lol. I am close to getting my aquarium to a safe nitrate level, and I am excited to start stocking it(with things that are not sharks, of course!).

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mangroves would be the ideal plant for this type of set up. Idk if someone had a shark.... but I do know a few tank set ups with outdoor sunlight pond types...

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves would be the ideal plant for this type of set up. Idk if someone had a shark.... but I do know a few tank set ups with outdoor sunlight pond types...
Specifically said bamboo because of the pun…. bamboo sharks, lol
plus they don’t grow a lot of roots, which is good for the table

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was unaware of saltwater tolerant bamboo, pretty cool!
I’m not sure if any true saltwater bamboo exist, but most bamboo species are only tolerant of small amount of salt. I was hoping a combination of lower salinity + acclimation would make it work.

there is one report of bambusa oldhamii doing fine immersed, and looking at how tough bamboos are, I wouldn’t be surprised, but I need more research.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Specifically said bamboo because of the pun…. bamboo sharks, lol
plus they don’t grow a lot of roots, which is good for the table
Yeah I understand... but I was saying some people have in fact done a similar set up.

Note: Julian Sprung is whom I was thinking of...

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand... but I was saying some people have in fact done a similar set up.

Note: Julian Sprung is whom I was thinking of...

I was specifically trying to stay away from the mangrove idea… it is a bit boring and difficult to maintain, and it might be hard on the shark due to its bark and it might(not sure on this one) release tannins.
also, may I ask whether you know any papers on bamboo salt tolerance? people seem to be interested and my mild skimming of pubmed/google isn’t that thorough, so a concrete answer will be great.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not sure if any true saltwater bamboo exist, but most bamboo species are only tolerant of small amount of salt. I was hoping a combination of lower salinity + acclimation would make it work.

there is one report of bambusa oldhamii doing fine immersed, and looking at how tough bamboos are, I wouldn’t be surprised, but I need more research.

This species is apparently tolerant of salt? Not sure how much tho.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was specifically trying to stay away from the mangrove idea… it is a bit boring and difficult to maintain, and it might be hard on the shark due to its bark and it might(not sure on this one) release tannins.
also, may I ask whether you know any papers on bamboo salt tolerance? people seem to be interested and my mild skimming of pubmed/google isn’t that thorough, so a concrete answer will be great.

Depends on the shark species. Some sharks (I believe nursery sharks?) Give birth in mangrove forrests... the best idea would be to replicate a natural ecosystem already existing in nature imo.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the shark species. Some sharks (I believe nursery sharks?) Give birth in mangrove forrests... the best idea would be to replicate a natural ecosystem already existing in nature imo.
this is just a jurassic park abomination of a funny tank lol, plus bamboo sharks are known to be benthic so I doubt the bark would hurt them… although I’m not sure of anything else mangroves would leach into the water. Plus, experimenting on bamboo with high salinity might prove to be beneficial to that industry.

this research found no significant effect at concentrations around 1/5 of the optimal reef salinity, which I think is promising. I guess I found my next science fair project.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back