Can a UV sterilizer be mounted horizontally over a sump?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.

I don't think it does much for bubble algae and aptasia.

Bubble algae --> Emerald Crab, Aptasia --> Berghia Nudibranch
Thanks! I’m afraid of emeralds going after my coral but a Nudibranch is a great idea. I’m hoping the uv helps with any spores released into the water column. I do manual removal of the bubble algae and some always pop no matter how careful I am. Same with treating aptasis with aptasia x. They get irritated and I see new babies after treatment. I know the uv won’t do anything with stuff on surfaces, just the water column. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few small leaks. One is at the barb where the tubing is attached. The other is at the barb to screw fitting plumbing back to my pvc return line. I tried Teflon tape on the screw fitting but I’m wondering if I should use plumbers paste. For the barb and tubing, I’m not sure what to do. I put a zip tie on it but that didn’t help. I’m going to wrap it in silicone tape to see if that helps. Everything’s over the sump so the leaks aren’t causing a big problem but I still want to fix them. Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. Removing and replacing bulb isnt that difficult, right?

I am working on installing mine now.
Installing the light was easy. I had to pull out the unit to do it because I ended up not having enough room to mount it front to back. But as long as you insert the light straight you’re good.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good point. Removing and replacing bulb isnt that difficult, right?

I am working on installing mine now.
Procedure depends on the manufacturer. Basic idea is that the quartz sleeve stays in so no water will leak out. Turn it off, unscrew the bulb cap (ensure the quartz sleeve screw does not loosen while doing this) Carefully pull out the bulb ensuring you do not scratch or put pressure on the quartz sleeve. Swap the bulb ensuring that you push the connector fully on. Reinsert the bulb making sure not to scratch or put pressure on the quartz sleeve. Tighten the bulb cover.

Depending on your tank/ flow you may need to occasionally pull out the quartz sleeve to clean. In this case you need to turn off your pump and drain the line. For SW, it is not recommended to buy a unit with a sleeve cleaner as the parts can wear, causing contamination and leaks.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a few small leaks. One is at the barb where the tubing is attached. The other is at the barb to screw fitting plumbing back to my pvc return line. I tried Teflon tape on the screw fitting but I’m wondering if I should use plumbers paste. For the barb and tubing, I’m not sure what to do. I put a zip tie on it but that didn’t help. I’m going to wrap it in silicone tape to see if that helps. Everything’s over the sump so the leaks aren’t causing a big problem but I still want to fix them. Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

For the screw fitting, if you use a sealant ensure that it is made for plastic and that you do not overtighten. Other option is to ditch the screw fittings and use slip fittings with glue. I don't like messing with the screw fittings because they can be finnicky.

For the barbs, if it leaks the tubing is to large. The tubing should be hard to push on (if you struggle pushing it on, just hold it under some hot tap water). Then use a proper clamp. Zip ties tend to apply inconsistent pressure. Do not use metal clamps. This is what you should use (you can find them on amazon too)

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the screw fitting, if you use a sealant ensure that it is made for plastic and that you do not overtighten. Other option is to ditch the screw fittings and use slip fittings with glue. I don't like messing with the screw fittings because they can be finnicky.

For the barbs, if it leaks the tubing is to large. The tubing should be hard to push on (if you struggle pushing it on, just hold it under some hot tap water). Then use a proper clamp. Zip ties tend to apply inconsistent pressure. Do not use metal clamps. This is what you should use (you can find them on amazon too)

Thanks. I bought some silicone tubing to replace the vinyl, which is way too stiff.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. I’m going to use a sealant instead of Teflon tape. I have some that’s reef safe

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back