Can amphipods and copepods be raised together? Starting a pod farm for my mandarin

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pod farm set up and ready to go. I have not found anything that specifically states I cant breed both copepods and amphipods in the same container. I will be feeding the culture phyto and can add spurilina for the amphipods. My question is, will the amphipods prey on the copepods thus negating any progress I will make? Container is a little over 5 gallons.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@reefsquad Anybody got experience breeding both of these together?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If well-fed, and adequate habitat is provided, they can co-exist. With that being said, I've seen systems where both animals were added, and weeks later, all that was left was amphipods. Here is a paper on an amphipod that eats copepods:http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/93/m093p205.pdf

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pod farm set up and ready to go. I have not found anything that specifically states I cant breed both copepods and amphipods in the same container. I will be feeding the culture phyto and can add spurilina for the amphipods. My question is, will the amphipods prey on the copepods thus negating any progress I will make? Container is a little over 5 gallons.

I have no help for you , but would be interested in hearing about your setup and or seeing pics.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely food for thought!
I was just admiring my algae reactor yesterday and I can tell you it's teaming with both.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love more info on how you are setting this "farm" up.

OP
OP
Duane Clark

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's a work in progress at the moment. The build is really simple. Maybe too simple but the container is a clear plastic storage container from Walmart that I drilled holes into the top so I could keep it covered but still allow for gas exchange. I have 5 gallons of water with about 2 inches left at the top. I purchased a small five gallon air pump and hooked it up to an airstone zip tied to a piece of dry rock. I have introduced half a 16 oz of Tisbee pods from algae barn (about 3000 pods) as well as 100 amphipods from another ebay vendor. I poured 8 oz of phyto into the container and half a teaspoon of powdered spirulina. salinity is 1.025 and temp is 78 degrees. Now I am just waiting. I will have to thin my chaeto reactor in about a week so I will put some of the chaeto in the farm as well. I plan on adding more phyto for the Tisbees and some fish food for the amphipods as the water clears (its a fluorescent green at the moment). I will harvest the pods by draining a gallon of water out every week or two into a 200 micron sock. Then add more fresh saltwater (that way I accomplish a water change at the same time). If anyone has any suggestions or corrections to my plan...please let me know. I'm kind of winging it.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know I have read that amphipods will eat copepods. I just don't recall if it was a certain species of either, or in general.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's a work in progress at the moment. The build is really simple. Maybe too simple but the container is a clear plastic storage container from Walmart that I drilled holes into the top so I could keep it covered but still allow for gas exchange. I have 5 gallons of water with about 2 inches left at the top. I purchased a small five gallon air pump and hooked it up to an airstone zip tied to a piece of dry rock. I have introduced half a 16 oz of Tisbee pods from algae barn (about 3000 pods) as well as 100 amphipods from another ebay vendor. I poured 8 oz of phyto into the container and half a teaspoon of powdered spirulina. salinity is 1.025 and temp is 78 degrees. Now I am just waiting. I will have to thin my chaeto reactor in about a week so I will put some of the chaeto in the farm as well. I plan on adding more phyto for the Tisbees and some fish food for the amphipods as the water clears (its a fluorescent green at the moment). I will harvest the pods by draining a gallon of water out every week or two into a 200 micron sock. Then add more fresh saltwater (that way I accomplish a water change at the same time). If anyone has any suggestions or corrections to my plan...please let me know. I'm kind of winging it.

Don't forget to put a check valve on that airline ;). I also read about breeding pods, because I was going to at one point, and it said to have larger air bubbles (like just the end of the air hose without a stone on it), and have them come out very slowly. I believe it said to use one of those adjustable air flow valves to have just around 5 bubbles per minute. This didn't include any info about breeding amphipods, but I figured I'll just throw it out there about what I learned.

OP
OP
Duane Clark

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget to put a check valve on that airline ;). I also read about breeding pods, because I was going to at one point, and it said to have larger air bubbles (like just the end of the air hose without a stone on it), and have them come out very slowly. I believe it said to use one of those adjustable air flow valves to have just around 5 bubbles per minute. This didn't include any info about breeding amphipods, but I figured I'll just throw it out there about what I learned.

Good points. I am actually planning on picking up a flow valve today to turn the flow down a bit. I will keep the airstone but turn the flow way down. kind of a funny story...when I first added the spirulina powder the airstone acted like a skimmer and foamed the entire container . I had to remove the skimmate before it overflowed the container. :)

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used only amphipods for Mandarins? The amphipods get fairly large compared to copepods and I wondered what size would be too big.

OP
OP
Duane Clark

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used only amphipods for Mandarins? The amphipods get fairly large compared to copepods and I wondered what size would be too big.
This is anecdotal but I had a healthy amphipod pop in my tank before I added my mandarin. they were crawling all over the rocks but in two days they were gone. I suppose it could have also been my fire fish goby but who knows?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul b has diy mandarin feeders. I believe he used baby brine shrimp.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back