Can anyone tell me what's going on with my candy cane?

Shawna Solomon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am trying to ID what all these spots are in my candy cane? I took my zoa out of the DT to dip it because it had what looked like zoa eating nudis on them. My candy cane I took out to get a vermitid snail off and super glue it shut and I thought I should try dipping it too. Idk why I'm pretty sure that doesnt work but I was just trying it anyway because they keep coming back. Anyway, I picked up the candy cane to put back in the tank after the dip and rinse and I see all these white spots and now I'm not sure if I should put it back in. Any ideas?
20190812_154432.jpeg

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like mesenterial filaments, hard to tell without seeing it in water, but its most likely what it is. The coral is stressing and you should prob put it in the water.

OP
OP
S

Shawna Solomon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like mesenterial filaments, hard to tell without seeing it in water, but its most likely what it is. The coral is stressing and you should prob put it in the water.
Okay, it's back in the water. I only took it out for the picture. But thank you.

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, it's back in the water. I only took it out for the picture. But thank you.

Its possible that the dip you used was harsh on the candy cane and that is why it started to expose those filaments. Corals use those to fight their neighbors and to catch food. They also do that when dipped for too long because they sometimes react that way naturally as they assume what the coral is experiencing is a neighbor attacking it. If the coral is healthy otherwise, it should bounce back in a day or two. You can prob look into seeing if your dipping procedure may be too harsh. On the other hand, it can be just a sensitive coral.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back