Can CA amphipods survive in a reef tank?

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just wondering if I had amphipods from a beach in CA where the water is 56 degrees, would they survive in our home aquariums?
I don't have an answer, but two thoughts. 1) why when there is an abundance of life you'll get already. 2). Do you want small critters that don't have corals as a natural habitat to crawl around your corals and possibly eat/pester them?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pods are rather resilient. The guy I got my latest batch from said that he cultures in 1.015 salinity and they are doing great in 1.027. It won't hurt to try. I had dinos wipe everything out in my tank but amphipods, bristle worms and my fish. It's not going to hurt to try. I never dosed phyto in my tank so they must be scavengers. You will see them in a couple of months at night if they made it. Shine a flashlight on the rock.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an answer, but two thoughts. 1) why when there is an abundance of life you'll get already. 2). Do you want small critters that don't have corals as a natural habitat to crawl around your corals and possibly eat/pester them?
Well I love wrasses and wrasses love amphipods.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods are rather resilient. The guy I got my latest batch from said that he cultures in 1.015 salinity and they are doing great in 1.027. It won't hurt to try. I had dinos wipe everything out in my tank but amphipods, bristle worms and my fish. It's not going to hurt to try. I never dosed phyto in my tank so they must be scavengers. You will see them in a couple of months at night if they made it. Shine a flashlight on the rock.
I assume they have different species of them so I am unsure how the temperature affects them. I think temp is the biggest issue when it comes to creatures on this coast

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back