Can GFO work too well?

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's best to use less GFO as opposed to running it on a timer. The first issue with running GFO on a timer is the water can become stagnant from sitting without moving in an anoxic environment. The second is that GFO will clump together if it is not kept moving. The reason we fluidize GFO in a reactor is because of its tendency to stick together. If the GFO sits for 5/6ths of the day, it will likely clump up and become useless.
I'll try that instead

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd lower the flow through the reactor or if you have some very sensitive SPS, it may be worth taking it offline or at least removing some of the media.

At least until you get a reading on the hanna phosphorus checker.

#reefsquad any additional thoughts?
Yeah,
I've had problems with the Hanna ULR checker reading zero too.
Got an bad batch of the refill powers.

I've tumbled Rowa in it's own reactor for three plus years.

I started off at only 1/4 of an cup and only recharge to 1/2 a cup after the reef got acclimated, to this day.

I would not tumble GAC with GFO. It's much softer and can break down into small fines that can lead to HLLE in tangs.

At this point when I need to clean this glass more often, then I recharge to another 1/2 cup of Rowa.

In the future, I'm moving on to the Elos phos. kit.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find reactors of gfo to be too potent for my tastes. I now keep a sock of gfo and carbon in the sump. Problem solved.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also thinking of putting gfo reactor on a timer too. I have lps and anwmones and feed the nems a lot so po4 is creeping up in some of my tanks. But tesding through your notes seems you guys dont favor the timer. But isnt it the same as running a skimmer on a timer?!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also thinking of putting gfo reactor on a timer too. I have lps and anwmones and feed the nems a lot so po4 is creeping up in some of my tanks. But tesding through your notes seems you guys dont favor the timer. But isnt it the same as running a skimmer on a timer?!

I'm not a fan of using either on a timer (turning off a skimmer seems a bad idea since you lose the aeration capacity), but one issue with a timer and a reactor is that water becomes stagnant inside it when it is off, with potential to produce hydrogen sulfide.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back