Can I bleach my entire tank?

Sandeep Brar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not dose copper to kill all type of corals left in tank then pool
Chlorine? I did copper for my tank for 4 weeks and then used pool chlorine for week. The Marco rock turned white like brand new. Did two water changes with tap water. Used prime. Used cuprisorb and poly filter before filling it saltwater again. Copper was zero on Icp. Total 750gallon

Sandeep Brar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorine? I did copper for my tank for 4 weeks and then used pool chlorine for week. The Marco rock turned white like brand new. Did two water changes with tap water. Used prime. Used cuprisorb and poly filter before filling it saltwater again. Copper was zero on Icp. Total 750gallon
That was two years ago now it’s full blown reef.

OP
OP
J

jeeper07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea. How much copper did you use and then how much chlorine did you use per gallon?

Sandeep Brar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea. How much copper did you use and then how much chlorine did you use per gallon?
I used cupramine at .7 mg/L. Had too many tangs in system and got ich breakout. Quarantining them separate tanks wasn’t option. I took out all my clean up crew and as man corals as I can. Once the ich was taken care of I took the fish out to inflatable swimming pool. Emptied the tank and filled it with tap water and dosed chlorine granules which were for 10,000 litres pool. Did it in the morning. Opened all the windows and doors downstairs. When I got back home house did smell like swimming pool but it wasn’t too bad. The smell went away in 3-4 days. Did two tap water changes and added prime. Filled with ro water , put in cuprisorb and colour changing poly pads. Kept the poly pads and cuprisorb with saltwater as well for couple of weeks after sending Icp to fauna.

Sandeep Brar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used cupramine at .7 mg/L. Had too many tangs in system and got ich breakout. Quarantining them separate tanks wasn’t option. I took out all my clean up crew and as man corals as I can. Once the ich was taken care of I took the fish out to inflatable swimming pool. Emptied the tank and filled it with tap water and dosed chlorine granules which were for 10,000 litres pool. Did it in the morning. Opened all the windows and doors downstairs. When I got back home house did smell like swimming pool but it wasn’t too bad. The smell went away in 3-4 days. Did two tap water changes and added prime. Filled with ro water , put in cuprisorb and colour changing poly pads. Kept the poly pads and cuprisorb with saltwater as well for couple of weeks after sending Icp to fauna.
IMG_7280.png

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely DO NOT bleach an 800g system full of live rock and sand inside your home. There's going to be significant off gassing that could kill or severely damage you and anyone else living there. People bleach rocks outside in trash cans for a reason.

So before doing this, book yourself an all-inclusive week at some nice tropical resort and leave the windows open

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, don't bleach your tank. You will have more problems than solutions.

If I was you...
I would stir, scrub and drain the tank, fill it up with fresh RO water or tap water with any brand of dechlorinator, and start the painful process of scrubbing all your rockwork, stirring up the sand and draining the tank few times, since it's an 800 gl that's a lot of water, so you don't have to full fill it , just enough to get everything under water. Wear gloves and a face mask if you are sensitive to what ever smell might came out. Once you did it few times until is less cloudy, full fill the tank with fresh saltwater, add bacteria and run a protein skimmer wet skimming, stirring up the sand and turkey dusting the rocks once a day or two. Also run a carbon reactor with the amount of carbon for your tank water volume, changing it once a week or two times a week, plus cleaning the filter socks every day. In the first few day you might have to clean the filter socks few times a day, as they will clog faster. (You might run into a bacteria bloom, the water might milky cloud... but, don't worry because you don't have any living organisms besides the bacteria). At that point you will be re-cycling your tank once again.

I know it's not an easy approach (lots of work) but, that's how I feel it's the best way to clean up all, if you aren't able to remove your aquascape and do an outside cleaning and drying. "As an option if you want, you can change all the sand and start with fresh life sand".

Good luck with whatever approach you think is best for you and your system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back