can i put a gorgonian coral on the sand bed?

mahmoud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a gorgonian coral which i dont know really what it is called.
now its on the sand bed to accilmate it to the led light i have.
the question is can i keep it in the sand bed where it can get gd light? cuz am not really know how to use superglue or anykind of glue to put it in a peace of rock. so i was thinking of just put it in the sand bed as if i was putting a plan.
what do u guys think?

Kano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can. I'd try and keep it so no flesh is under the sand if possible. You can glue it to a rock without any issues depending on the type. Which gorgonian did you buy? color or picture?

OP
OP
M

mahmoud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the color in somehow pink but i just got it yesterday so am not sure if it will show more colors with the led lighting or not. ill try and upload a picture later today.

OP
OP
M

mahmoud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140504_165025.jpg
20140504_165034.jpg

here are my gorgonian. i dont know it seems to be doing gd for me, today in the morning it had red spots everywhere i think they are its tentacle and than they disappeared when the light reached 50%

OP
OP
M

mahmoud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of gorgonian do u think it is?

srry i didnt know the pictures where on the side.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is important to know the type of gorgonian you have - whether it's photosynthetic or not. Hopefully others will chime in with an ID.

OP
OP
M

mahmoud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the different between the photosynthetic and not photosynthetic ? srry am not really familiar with gorgonian or any coral :p

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photosynthetic is that it depends mainly on light for life and growth. Non photosynthetic means it will require regular feeding to live and thrive. Non photosynthetic are more difficult to keep because of their feeding requirement.

Kano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered your other post but it looks like it's not photosynthetic so you will have to feed it every day or at least 4-5 times per week. I used to feed one I had shrimp/brine eggs. You'll want to clip off the parts that have algae growing on it and keep it in a pretty strong water flow. Not so much the branches are swaying (and not constant) but enough so algae doesn't grow on the branches. When you feed it you can turn the flow down/off if needed. You'll see the "flowers" grab the food. If the food it too big it will not be able to eat it even if it takes the food. Good luck.

OP
OP
M

mahmoud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do i have to feed it new hatched brine shrimps or brine shrimps eggs? and how do u know if it is photosynthetic or not?

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my guess is that they probably looked up the type you have pictured to come to that conclusion. You may want to go on a coral ID page and compare your gorg to the different types for a positive ID.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back