Can I use the Ecotech Battery backup with a Wavemaker of another brand?

ÁngelHernández

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The website says that you can only use it with Vortex and Vectra pumps, but essentially is a 12 V / 24 V backup? Can I use it with my Coral Box QPS-9 wavemaker? I plan to get a Vortex in the future, but today I had a bad experience with a power shortage! so I would like to use it with my current Wavemaker for some time.

If I buy the Coral Box battery backup now, in the future, when I get the Vortech I'll need to replace it, that's why I wonder if I could use the Ecotech.

Also, could I use it other pumps? Jebao? Maxpect?

Thanks!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A regular computer UPS is probably more powerful, cheaper and you can plug whatever you want into it.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use EcoTech battery backup with AI Nero 5 but run it through a cheapie boost converter to 24V and had to adapt the connector sizes -- other than voltage and connector size, it's just a 12V battery so should work.
*I agree that there are cheaper options though

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use EcoTech battery backup with AI Nero 5 but run it through a cheapie boost converter to 24V and had to adapt the connector sizes -- other than voltage and connector size, it's just a 12V battery so should work.
*I agree that there are cheaper options though
How did you adapt the connectors?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you adapt the connectors?
On the units that I have:
- Nero controller power jack is 5.5 x 2.1 mm
- EcoTech 12V OUTPUT ports are 3.5 x 1.35 mm
*my Nero also won't run on 12V (needs 24V) so I use a DC boost converter

One of the EcoTech cables I had (for battery output to EcoTech pump) was already broken in the middle so I cut off the ends and wired them to my DC boost converter.

For adapting the EcoTech pump cable end to Nero controller, I use something like this:
5.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Adapter

There are a bunch of cheap, adjustable DC boost converters but I already had this one for some other experiment so use this one (to boost to 24V for Nero):
DC Boost Converter
*depending on how you envision your backup unit, you might prefer a sealed unit rather than loose circuit board to mount to something

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the units that I have:
- Nero controller power jack is 5.5 x 2.1 mm
- EcoTech 12V OUTPUT ports are 3.5 x 1.35 mm
*my Nero also won't run on 12V (needs 24V) so I use a DC boost converter

One of the EcoTech cables I had (for battery output to EcoTech pump) was already broken in the middle so I cut off the ends and wired them to my DC boost converter.

For adapting the EcoTech pump cable end to Nero controller, I use something like this:
5.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Adapter

There are a bunch of cheap, adjustable DC boost converters but I already had this one for some other experiment so use this one (to boost to 24V for Nero):
DC Boost Converter
*depending on how you envision your backup unit, you might prefer a sealed unit rather than loose circuit board to mount to something
Hey thanks for that, but where did you plug the battery backup into?
I thought I would need a double adaptor to plug the backup and base pumps ports into, then plug the single port into the pump? Power goes out and backup kicks in, or am I missing something?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for that, but where did you plug the battery backup into?
I thought I would need a double adaptor to plug the backup and base pumps ports into, then plug the single port into the pump? Power goes out and backup kicks in, or am I missing something?
EcoTech battery has its own power supply that plugs into AC receptacle.
Nero controller plugs into DC boost converter (24V DC) which is plugged into the EcoTech battery 12V DC output.
*the EcoTech 12V DC output is continuous whether or not AC receptacle has power

...maybe I'm not understanding the question, though

EDIT for clarity:
Nero power supply brick is NOT used.
24V DC from boost converter goes directly into the Nero controller (where the Nero power supply would normally connect to it)

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, I think I understand now.
So I bypass the base pumps brick and plug it straight into my battery backup, then the output cable from the backup goes thru my booster (I have the ecotech booster) and plugs straight into the base pump control unit.
Does this sound right?

Edit:
I didn’t realise the Ecotech battery backup had continuous power, I knew it trickled charged but thought the output power only worked when the power was cut.

Last edited:

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this sound right?
Time out...
Are you trying to run AI Nero off of EcoTech Vortech battery backup? *I assumed you were.
If not, a lot of my gibberish might not fit your situation.

My battery and DC boost converter look like this:

battery1.jpeg

*unplugged end of cable with adapter is what plugs into my Nero controller (to power the Nero)

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time out...
Are you trying to run AI Nero off of EcoTech Vortech battery backup? *I assumed you were.
If not, a lot of my gibberish might not fit your situation.

My battery and DC boost converter look like this:

battery1.jpeg

*unplugged end of cable with adapter is what plugs into my Nero controller (to power the Nero)
OK, so I have the same battery backup as you which is connected to my S2 via the Ecotech booster cable (converts it to 24v).
But, I'm looking to swap out the S2 and replace it with a Reef Factory return pump (Base pump 5000), and that's what I was asking about.
In saying that what you've explained and have done would still work for me, it's the same principal and the Reef Factory pump is also 24v. I also have 2 Nero 5's in the tank so I could just do the same as you, but could I run 2 Nero's using the 2nd output on the battery backup with a second booster or that won't work?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have 2 Nero 5's in the tank so I could just do the same as you, but could I run 2 Nero's using the 2nd output on the battery backup with a second booster or that won't work?
I assume it would work and the battery would just last half as long (compared to running just 1 Nero when power is out)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back