Can ich live in a fallow tank (no fish) by feeding on invertabrates/hitch hikers/coral/sand/anemones?

sexyvampireqt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the ich problem in my tank just keeps getting worse no matter what we do, and i want to fallow the tank for ~6 months just to be completely sure it's gone, the problem is there are other kind of live aquaria in there, such as invertebrates/hitch hikers like worms/corals/sand/anemones. Can ich survive off any of this stuff for around 6 months? Is the tank just completely doomed?

I really want to scape it properly and let the corals and frags prosper for a while, but there's really no point if the ich is just going to continue to prosper on things other than fish.

Probably just going to give the 8 fish we have away to fellow reefers who have a nice size QT and can do some copper treatment, as we can't QT at this moment, especially for such a long period.

I know there are SO MUCH threads out there, including the sticky, about ich, but in this particular scenario i don't really know what to do even with all of the reading i've done.

tl;dr can ich prosper in an environment with no fish?

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is talk out there that Ich can go dormant in areas of the tank that are low oxygen, cryptic zones (i think), thus surviving a fallow period but im not sure how much i believe that for our home aquaria.

Im quite sure that Ich only feeds on fish, so without a food source it will eventually die out, that is why people go fallow when dealing with Ich. It can't prosper without fish.

I went fallow once because of ich and believe it is no longer in my tank. I believe a key factor in going fallow is to continue to do regular maintenance and feeding of the tank. Water changes, vacuum/stir the sandbed, blow off the rocks, ect.

I wont say copper does not work on Ich but it is very particular for it to work. I believe the TTM (tank transfer method) is a much better option when dealing with Ich and fish.

Ich is not a death sentence for your tank, just a pain in the butt. Hang in there!

OP
OP
sexyvampireqt

sexyvampireqt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is talk out there that Ich can go dormant in areas of the tank that are low oxygen, cryptic zones (i think), thus surviving a fallow period but im not sure how much i believe that for our home aquaria.

If the talk were true, any idea how long they lay dormant for? And is there anyway to prevent low oxygen, also what is a cryptic zone?

I know it's not a death sentence, but it's a pain to deal with, and most of all i'd rather the fish, for their sake and well being to be in a tank where they don't have to worry about stress or anything of the sort. Call me touchy feely. It's my fault that this happened, so i feel bad for them. I'm still new to the hobby so i just got fish and never QT'd them, and i really feel bad about it. Poor fishy :(

If i can get rid of the ich completely, i'm going to do my best to QT the fish and get a coral QT setup.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the talk were true, any idea how long they lay dormant for? And is there anyway to prevent low oxygen, also what is a cryptic zone?

No, sorry im not sure how long they may lay dormant for. My understanding of a cryptic zone is like a dead spot, no light, flow, oxygen ect. Like an area of undisturbed sand or deep in the rock work. Im thinking we all have these types of areas that is why i am skeptical about it going completely dormant.

This is also why i believe it is important to vacuum/stir the sand and blow off the rock before water changes to help prevent these types of things.

Yeah, Im not the quarentine type. I went through ich and it was a pain and i had some losses. Live and learn i guess.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a good article on ich.

OP
OP
sexyvampireqt

sexyvampireqt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good article on ich.

Yea, i've read multiple articles like that and have a general understanding of ich and how it works. My main question really was can ich SURVIVE off coral/invertebrates (such as shrimp, snails, crabs etc.)

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, i've read multiple articles like that and have a general understanding of ich and how it works. My main question really was can ich SURVIVE off coral/invertebrates (such as shrimp, snails, crabs etc.)

Ich only feeds on fish and will not prosper without them. I am gonna say no it can't survive off coral/inverts, ect.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple and basic answer is that in most scenarios, “no” it cannot.

But as mentioned it seems that in very rare cases it’s possible that it can Live in low oxygen areas for longer than the typical 76 day fallow period. So the real answer is “maybe”
For how long? I don’t think anyone has a concrete answer there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They must have a living host which have slime on their skin and flesh

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so it could survive off zombie snails?
No. It’s not surviving off of any other animal than a fish. Period. It’s a parasite. It HAS to have a host to live.

What CAN happen is that it can live in its dormant stage for longer than normal causing the fallow period to not work.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
so it could survive off zombie snails?
Probably not. Ich cannot reproduce without fish. The total length of the Ich parasite is about 5-6 weeks in total so its best to leave it fallow for 7-9 weeks before adding new fish

OP
OP
sexyvampireqt

sexyvampireqt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for all the help and coaching me through this, putting my mind at ease (all of you). (the zombie snail question was just because you said slime/flesh)

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you have any rough estimates about how long extra?
72 day’s was the longest time recorded on record. But keep in mind it was only recorded 1 time. 2 weeks is average and 35 days being the maximum.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back