Can seem to get my Alk Dialed in

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be fine to continue as you were, without pushing the dose higher and higher. The range you showed is fine. If you spread that 1.4 dKH out over the whole day (or whole 24 h), it would be interesting to see what alkalinity you stabilized at.

If you want to try to reduce abiotic precipitation (if any is happening), here's my advice (a copy and paste):

It is not uncommon to have substantial precipitation of calcium carbonate, especially in newer tanks with lots of raw calcium carbonate surfaces to nucleate more precipitation.

There are a lot of things that can be done to reduce precipitation, but the easiest is to lower the pH (use baking soda or a two part based on baking soda for alk, not a higher pH system based on carbonate) and to lower your alk goal for a while to let the precipitation surface "cool off" and get coated with the stuff that normally reduces precipitation (phosphate, organics, magnesium, etc.).

I'd target just 7.0 dKH for a while. Everything is fine at that alk, and consumption will be lower. When you do additions, add to a very high flow area (not into a powerhead, but maybe just after it). Don't dose next to a heater, since calcium carbonate will precipitate onto it.

OP
OP
Undertaker

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be fine to continue as you were, without pushing the dose higher and higher. The range you showed is fine. If you spread that 1.4 dKH out over the whole day (or whole 24 h), it would be interesting to see what alkalinity you stabilized at.

If you want to try to reduce abiotic precipitation (if any is happening), here's my advice (a copy and paste):

It is not uncommon to have substantial precipitation of calcium carbonate, especially in newer tanks with lots of raw calcium carbonate surfaces to nucleate more precipitation.

There are a lot of things that can be done to reduce precipitation, but the easiest is to lower the pH (use baking soda or a two part based on baking soda for alk, not a higher pH system based on carbonate) and to lower your alk goal for a while to let the precipitation surface "cool off" and get coated with the stuff that normally reduces precipitation (phosphate, organics, magnesium, etc.).

I'd target just 7.0 dKH for a while. Everything is fine at that alk, and consumption will be lower. When you do additions, add to a very high flow area (not into a powerhead, but maybe just after it). Don't dose next to a heater, since calcium carbonate will precipitate onto it.

Thx Randy

OP
OP
Undertaker

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx Randy

hey, Randy, I've tested my alk (Hanna) the past two-day since you suggested turning my dosing pump back on. both day it has come in at 6.9. I lowered back down to 80ml a day, and have my dose spit up over a twenty-four-hour dosing every three hours. I moved the heater away from the powerhead. should I just keep testing every day at the same time and see what happens? If so how long should I go before upping my dose?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, Randy, I've tested my alk (Hanna) the past two-day since you suggested turning my dosing pump back on. both day it has come in at 6.9. I lowered back down to 80ml a day, and have my dose spit up over a twenty-four-hour dosing every three hours. I moved the heater away from the powerhead. should I just keep testing every day at the same time and see what happens? If so how long should I go before upping my dose?

I'd keep it at 7 dKH or so for a week, then raise it if you want it higher. Corals do fine at 7 dKH. :)

OP
OP
Undertaker

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep it at 7 dKH or so for a week, then raise it if you want it higher. Corals do fine at 7 dKH. :)
Ok Randy two weeks in and my dKh is still a steady 7, cal is 420, my mag is still high 1500. so I Think I am going to keep it at the 80ml a day till my mag comes down to the normal range. then go from there. What do you think?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Randy two weeks in and my dKh is still a steady 7, cal is 420, my mag is still high 1500. so I Think I am going to keep it at the 80ml a day till my mag comes down to the normal range. then go from there. What do you think?

I think that's a fine plan, although the magnesium may take a very long time to decline. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back