Can someone ID this creature?!?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a euphyllia eating flatworm, dip the coral and scrape off any eggs you see. Repeat that process every 1-2 weeks for the next 2-4 months
On second thought, those tails don't look like EEFW to me, almost like a red planaria. And EEFW aren't clear/translucent nor have i ever seen one move that fast. Any better photos? @ISpeakForTheSeas?

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
On second thought, those tails don't look like EEFW to me, almost like a red planaria. And EEFW aren't clear/translucent nor have i ever seen one move that fast. Any better photos? @ISpeakForTheSeas?
It sure looks a lot like this...

https://reefs.com/magazine/pest-free-reefkeeping-iii-the-flatworms/

That being said, what does it look like if/when they eat your torches and/or hammers, because I have some that have suddenly liquified and or lost heads.

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Looked them up... def. NOT that thankfully. This one was very clear and had a yellowish section on it's back.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said, what does it look like if/when they eat your torches and/or hammers, because I have some that have suddenly liquified and or lost heads.
When EEFW consume corals, they will eat the flesh band if I'm not mistaken and also devour heads, an irritated euphyllia/Fimbriaphyllia that is has a receeding flesh band and is slowly loosing heads is a clear indicator of EEFW, though that can also be caused by inadequate water parameters. What are your parameters? What PAR are they in, what's the flow like? Also liquefying heads may be BJD, did said heads have a brown, jelly like substance covering them/on them? Did the decline happen rapidly? And did it spread to other corals?

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
When EEFW consume corals, they will eat the flesh band if I'm not mistaken and also devour heads, an irritated euphyllia/Fimbriaphyllia that is has a receeding flesh band and is slowly loosing heads is a clear indicator of EEFW, though that can also be caused by inadequate water parameters. What are your parameters? What PAR are they in, what's the flow like? Also liquefying heads may be BJD, did said heads have a brown, jelly like substance covering them/on them? Did the decline happen rapidly? And did it spread to other corals?
I'm leaning BJD. I've already started treating the tank with Cipro to try to save the other coral

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back