Can tank populations of amphipods sustain seahorses?

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
This is a very ballpark post.

I have a 5 gallon macro algae tank that is only inhabited by a sexy shrimp at the moment.

Due to this, I have a very large population of amphipods prospering. Very easily in the hundreds, possibly in the thousands. Lots of amphipods.

I had plans to add rock flower nems and more sexy shrimp, however I would like to pursue other options as well.

I’ve had interest in seahorses and pipefish for awhile, however I’ve always shied away because of their feeding.

Is there a species of either that would be able to sustain itself on the amphipods the tank population is able to replenish?

I just don’t have many sources showing specifics in terms of how much they eat. Just how often. If a dwarf seahorse only eats 3 amphipods per meal, I’ll be fine. If they eat 30, I won’t.

Thank you all.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
This is a very ballpark post.

I have a 5 gallon macro algae tank that is only inhabited by a sexy shrimp at the moment.

Due to this, I have a very large population of amphipods prospering. Very easily in the hundreds, possibly in the thousands. Lots of amphipods.

I had plans to add rock flower nems and more sexy shrimp, however I would like to pursue other options as well.

I’ve had interest in seahorses and pipefish for awhile, however I’ve always shied away because of their feeding.

Is there a species of either that would be able to sustain itself on the amphipods the tank population is able to replenish?

I just don’t have many sources showing specifics in terms of how much they eat. Just how often. If a dwarf seahorse only eats 3 amphipods per meal, I’ll be fine. If they eat 30, I won’t.

Thank you all.
I wouldn’t depend on there always being enough amphipods. Try your seahorse experiment but be prepared to feed them if the amphipod population does not last as you had hoped.

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t depend on there always being enough amphipods. Try your seahorse experiment but be prepared to feed them if the amphipod population does not last as you had hoped.
That’s a fair way to reason it. Thank you.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back