Canister filter for 75g?

steclo1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi new to the forum and pretty new to the hobby just got a 75g aqueon tank upgrading from biocube. A guy gave me a hob protein skimmer and canister would that be ok to work with or should I attempt to get the back drilled for sump. I have no clue how to go about plumbing for a sump or anything like that as well. Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People use canister filters all the time. Personally, I hate them (too much work). You can think of the plumbing for a sump quite simply. Pretend the sump is a canister filter. Water leaves the tank (powered via a siphon) goes through filter media, and is returned to the tank with a pump internal to the canister.

With a sump, water leaves the tank using gravity, goes through filter media and is returned to the tank using a return pump.

Not all tanks can be drilled if you think you want a sump. If the glass is tempered and you try to drill it, it will shatter. Another alternative is a hob overflow which uses a siphon to pull water through it.

Personally, I’d either go with hob filters or a sump, but a canister filter is a fine option.

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the cannister on my 75 gallon as well but over time decided I wanted less equipment in the tank and the ability to add more equipment that just wasn't possible with the cannister. So I added the hob overflow and a sump. I had no idea about plumbing either and it worked out ok.

In short it'll work, but you'll have a better looking tank without it in my opinion.

OP
OP
S

steclo1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the cannister on my 75 gallon as well but over time decided I wanted less equipment in the tank and the ability to add more equipment that just wasn't possible with the cannister. So I added the hob overflow and a sump. I had no idea about plumbing either and it worked out ok.

In short it'll work, but you'll have a better looking tank without it in my opinion.
I've seen the hang on the back overflow option ever had it malfunction and flood the floor very worried about that thank you for the input also

OP
OP
S

steclo1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People use canister filters all the time. Personally, I hate them (too much work). You can think of the plumbing for a sump quite simply. Pretend the sump is a canister filter. Water leaves the tank (powered via a siphon) goes through filter media, and is returned to the tank with a pump internal to the canister.

With a sump, water leaves the tank using gravity, goes through filter media and is returned to the tank using a return pump.

Not all tanks can be drilled if you think you want a sump. If the glass is tempered and you try to drill it, it will shatter. Another alternative is a hob overflow which uses a siphon to pull water through it.

Personally, I’d either go with hob filters or a sump, but a canister filter is a fine option.
I really want a sump I know the back side isn't tempered and the bottom is. I haven't seen many people use the back side and how the plumbing works the ones I have seen look very complicated like I said I'm new to this so I don't really wanna mess nothing up ya know lol thank you for the input.

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently made the switch, so I haven't had much time for a failure, but I have tested by powering off and by breaking the syphon and everything was fine. Also, I haven't read about many failures, most I read is that they have had good luck with the HOB overflows.

The plumbing was really simple nothing more than a five foot piece of 1 inch pcv, a couple 90 degree elbows, and some pvc cement. All the return plumbing was done with silicon tubing so that I just cut to size. Trust me I've never plumbed a thing in my life and this was surprisingly easy once I just went for it.

OP
OP
S

steclo1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently made the switch, so I haven't had much time for a failure, but I have tested by powering off and by breaking the syphon and everything was fine. Also, I haven't read about many failures, most I read is that they have had good luck with the HOB overflows.

The plumbing was really simple nothing more than a five foot piece of 1 inch pcv, a couple 90 degree elbows, and some pvc cement. All the return plumbing was done with silicon tubing so that I just cut to size. Trust me I've never plumbed a thing in my life and this was surprisingly easy once I just went for it.

OP
OP
S

steclo1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there like a diagram or vid on how to do all this stuff just so I know what I'm looking at really excited to get this thing set up thanks for the info and help

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there like a diagram or vid on how to do all this stuff just so I know what I'm looking at really excited to get this thing set up thanks for the info and help
this is a real quick graph at what you are looking at. I don’t necessarily agree with everything written so take all that as you will. Especially having the return outside the sump, but it does cover the general idea pretty well.

Last edited:

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but really any video on plumbing a sump will help you (I think I watched every YouTube video about sumps) Just realize you don’t need to make it as complex as a lot of the videos. And if you use pvc, before you cement It all together, dry fit it in case you make a mistake along the way. Much easier to fix it before it’s cemented in place

OP
OP
S

steclo1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a real quick graph at what you are looking at. I don’t necessarily agree with everything written so take all that as you will. Especially having the return outside the sump, but it does cover the general idea pretty well.

Thank you so much for the advance and help I appreciate it theres alot to learn in this hobby

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back