Canister Filters: Canister filters are a viable, inexpensive way to filter a reef tank. True or False?

Canister filters are a viable, inexpensive way to filter a reef tank.

• Agree

Votes: 397 51.2%
  • Disagree

Votes: 198 25.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 158 20.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 23 3.0%

• Total voters

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my tanks with no mechanical filtration at all. If you need mechanical filtration, a canister works just as well as every other type provided you clean it regularly. In that regard, they are more challenging to clean than other methods of mechanical filtration.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
huge messy pain. Cleaning the FX5/6 is a mess. the trays of sponges, media, ceramic balls. Not to mention the dang filter is heavy especially trying to get it out from inside the stand.
Well - I had one for freshwater - and if you follow the directions (i.e. drain the filter before moving it) - its not heavy at all - but the cleaning - which in a reef tank - I assume - would be more of a mess - is time-consuming. But - if you filtered from an area that was relatively clean - it would not need to be cleaned - would offer some ability to clarify the water - and there are carbon inserts as well. If you're using them as primary 'filtration' - probably not. BTW - this is for a reef tank - as a FOWLR tank it would work fine IMHO

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree.

I've used a large canister filter for many years on my FOWLR, and it's been great. High flow rate mean it pulls a ton of suspended waste out of the tank, and large capacity means lots of space for chemical and biological filter media. And it's way easier to keep clean than a sump.

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - I had one for freshwater - and if you follow the directions (i.e. drain the filter before moving it) - its not heavy at all - but the cleaning - which in a reef tank - I assume - would be more of a mess - is time-consuming. But - if you filtered from an area that was relatively clean - it would not need to be cleaned - would offer some ability to clarify the water - and there are carbon inserts as well. If you're using them as primary 'filtration' - probably not. BTW - this is for a reef tank - as a FOWLR tank it would work fine IMHO
I am Fowlr!!! Lol BUT I do see people who have success with canisters that do have reef tanks.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you gotta hit the gym. Get your weight up
Its not that its heavy, i can lug 5 gallon container jugs all day long. Its that the dang filter is in the stand. Reaching for it and taking is a pain. I'm not going to hit the weights just so i can have a canister filter.

I remember the days of cleaning the fx5. I pass.
My actual procedure was to lift the intake hose so that its above the water line and let it suck air and pump out all the water in the canister. Only negative is it disturbs the filter because of all the air and it spews out crap back into the aquarium. Either that or carry the canister. Just end up carrying the canister to the bath tub. Take the 50 sponges inside the filter out and throw them in the bath tub. Run the water while i step on the sponges to clean it out.

Because fish are so dirty, i don't recommend a canister filter. If I had to run a canister filter for my reef, I would probably load it up with live rock and use it as a nitrifying reactor.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a LOT of research before going with a sump.

For a canister to work well you need a canister that can both hold heaps of media and offer good flow- the enheim big green bucket is the best you can get for this, however, the pump and media add up to a lot of money, just price 15lbs of bio media.

Then you limit your ability to reduce nitrates, something easily done with a brightwell brick in the sump since you have access to low flow.

I ended up with a sump and glad I did, I can run a skimmer, cheato, Ozone brightwell bricks, heater and various reactors if I wanted.

Plumbing was super simple as well.

You can certainly run a canister, but if space is not an issue, a sump is the best bet- you can always get generic or second hand equipment, so cost isn't a major factor.

Also, I run sockless, food and poop ends up in the same corner in the skimmer area, I just vac it out once a week, the pods eat the rest.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree.

I've used a large canister filter for many years on my FOWLR, and it's been great. High flow rate mean it pulls a ton of suspended waste out of the tank, and large capacity means lots of space for chemical and biological filter media. And it's way easier to keep clean than a sump.
"Pulls a lot of suspended waste"....yes

"Easier to clean".....no........I ran a FX6 for 17 years. To pull out the canister from under the stand, drain and then open it up to clean the contents was a lot of work BUT it is doable. With a sump, it's open...the only thing that gets cleaned is the filter socks and that just requires me to pickup and replace sock.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would argue with anyone who says no. ive been running one on a test experiment tank.. havent changed out the filter media or any water changes in 6 months. tank is going strong no algae outbreak. got tons of coraline algae and my fish are all healthy and growing strong.

while my main tanks that i do water changes daily and change out media on have some small traces of dinos.

I have experience with 4 different types of canister filters, FX filters from Fluval, the Eheim, Sun Sun, and some XP star filter. The common theme is that they have no flow indicator, no way of you telling if its clogged or not. So you must do it on schedules.

Just like filter socks, they don't remove anything from the aquarium until the filter itself is cleaned. At least with filter socks, I can load up on 20 of them and change them out daily. Cleaning a canister filter daily is not possible.

Running a cannister filter on a fish heavy tank means a lot of poop. That means more filter cleanings, more salt mix, more time, more advil and heat packs for the sore back.

Canister filter has its uses. If I ran an established reef or planted tank with very minimal fish, I think its doable. If it was a FOWLR, you are asking for trouble. On the FX6, don't believe it when it says good enough for 400g.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experience with 4 different types of canister filters, FX filters from Fluval, the Eheim, Sun Sun, and some XP star filter. The common theme is that they have no flow indicator, no way of you telling if its clogged or not. So you must do it on schedules.

Just like filter socks, they don't remove anything from the aquarium until the filter itself is cleaned. At least with filter socks, I can load up on 20 of them and change them out daily. Cleaning a canister filter daily is not possible.

Running a cannister filter on a fish heavy tank means a lot of poop. That means more filter cleanings, more salt mix, more time, more advil and heat packs for the sore back.

Canister filter has its uses. If I ran an established reef or planted tank with very minimal fish, I think its doable. If it was a FOWLR, you are asking for trouble. On the FX6, don't believe it when it says good enough for 400g.
The flow indicator is the amount of flow coming out of the filter, same thing with return pumps on reef tanks. Low flow? Clean it! It's the same story for all pumps/powerheads/wavemakers, amiritte?

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one to polish my water and I also use one on my mixing can.

I also run it when stirring up the sand and blowing off rocks.

It's not my primary filter but they have uses. To be used as a primary filter on an SPS tank you would have to clean it ever 3 to 4 days.
ChemiPure Blue in the media tray doesn’t hurt.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i assume that it means canister filter only? That would be horrible. I live both worlds of salt and fresh, I don't even use canister filters for my freshwater tanks. They are horrible. Maintenance on them is a pain. Taking apart a fx5/6 with the 50,000 knobs that breaks as soon as you over tighten just a bit. I had three fx5 on my 350g Tanganyikan tank. I would have to spend 6hrs a month cleaning them. They build up so much crap. Because there was no surface agitation, i had to add air stones to oxygenate the water. I couldn't get rid of that tank and filters fast enough.

For non canister filter users, the reason i mention the fx4/5/6 is because they are the gold standard when it comes to canister filters. Please don't mention Eheim canister filters.... what a piece of crap.
You had 3 FX5 filters on your tank and you couldn't have aimed 1 (or 2?) of them at the surface to get surface agitation...?

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Canister is like "sump with socks" in a can. Socks work best when you change them every few days. Same with a canister. It is mechanical filtration, so you would need to clean that every few days.

If you do not clean any mechanical filter regularly, the trapped particulates will decompose and raise nutrients. Canisters are excellent filters, but too hard to clean versus changing filter socks for me.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow indicator is the amount of flow coming out of the filter, same thing with return pumps on reef tanks. Low flow? Clean it! It's the same story for all pumps/powerheads/wavemakers, amiritte?

no, if the output nozzle is under the water. How can you tell what the flow is? Unless you lift the output nozzle above the water level and actually see water coming out. Then it defeats one of the main advantages of a canister filter being quiet.

With a filter sock, I can easily tell. If its over flowing, swap it out. No guessing needed.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when comparing canisters to filter socks, it all depends on what you use in the media trays….

LiftinTheVeil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran my first reef tank on a canister for four years, only cleaning it a handful of times.
3F6F988D-233D-4484-AA50-3783FF52AAE8.jpeg
Very cool! Do you think it contributed to most of your biological filtration rather than physical?

Reef Republica

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our very first reef tank ran with just a canister! Two canisters, actually. Until recently, we hand a little corner 50 gal set up with just a canister. It deserves some close watching on the parameters and wouldn't recommend it for anything larger than maybe a 75 gal. However.... We run at least one canister on systems with sumps using only filter media for bacteria. We sometimes use these for new systems. Simply move the canister to the new system to jump start cycling. Works very well!

Isaac_Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about canister filters and if you would agree or disagree with the following statement:

"Canister filters are a viable, inexpensive way to filter a reef tank."

1. Do you agree or disagree?

2. Do you run a canister filter on your reef now or have you in the past?

Thanks @adittam for the QOTD idea!
Screenshot 2021-09-03 at 10-52-11 FX6 Canister Filter - Fluval.png
I do have a hang on for my saltwater, however I have a canister for my freshwater that I have and even host a turtle in it and my water has been clear with no issues going on for about 4 months, super quite and eye pleasing so I’ve been thinking about getting a canister for the reef tank but haven’t jumped the gun yet for it

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back