Cannot keep Alk up

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize ahead of time for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I recently moved this past July into a bigger home. I have a 260g mixed reef with mostly LPS. Prior to the move, I was dosing about 200ml a day of Ca and sodium hydroxide (needed the pH boost) and alk was stable around 9. I moved in July and unfortunately had a tank crash due to reusing an unrinsed sand bed. A friend held onto my coral for a few weeks and I pulled the surviving fish. I left the tank dark for a few weeks while I went fallow and quarantined all my fish. When I got my coral back this past Sept, I also purchased about a dozen sps frags. I also restarted dosing trace elements and upgraded my lights to the Skys. I resumed dosing based on my old schedule. Alk was initially stable around 9 dKh. My coral were growing like crazy, but it turns out my new house has much less CO2 than my old house. With the sodium hydroxide, pH was climbing. I started hitting pH peaks of over 8.5, but I was needing more and more 2 part to maintain alkalinity. As a result, my salinity kept climbing. At that point, I switched to soda ash and also started doing 1.5g awc with RODI. Salinity stayed perfectly stable, the pH dropped to 8.2-8.3, but the alk requirements didn't. In a 260g system, I'm dosing about 1600ml/day of 2 part. I've been supplementing with sodium bicarbonate, but it doesn't seem to help lower my alk demand at all. As I started to reintroduce my fish, I realized that my sand bed was almost totally calcified. I tried to separate dosing alk and Ca, but my alk dropped 0.8dKh between 12am and 6am.

How do I get out of this cycle of precipitation without dropping my alkalinity so much?

20221221_220414.jpg 20221221_220421.jpg 20221221_220425.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize ahead of time for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I recently moved this past July into a bigger home. I have a 260g mixed reef with mostly LPS. Prior to the move, I was dosing about 200ml a day of Ca and sodium hydroxide (needed the pH boost) and alk was stable around 9. I moved in July and unfortunately had a tank crash due to reusing an unrinsed sand bed. A friend held onto my coral for a few weeks and I pulled the surviving fish. I left the tank dark for a few weeks while I went fallow and quarantined all my fish. When I got my coral back this past Sept, I also purchased about a dozen sps frags. I also restarted dosing trace elements and upgraded my lights to the Skys. I resumed dosing based on my old schedule. Alk was initially stable around 9 dKh. My coral were growing like crazy, but it turns out my new house has much less CO2 than my old house. With the sodium hydroxide, pH was climbing. I started hitting pH peaks of over 8.5, but I was needing more and more 2 part to maintain alkalinity. As a result, my salinity kept climbing. At that point, I switched to soda ash and also started doing 1.5g awc with RODI. Salinity stayed perfectly stable, the pH dropped to 8.2-8.3, but the alk requirements didn't. In a 260g system, I'm dosing about 1600ml/day of 2 part. I've been supplementing with sodium bicarbonate, but it doesn't seem to help lower my alk demand at all. As I started to reintroduce my fish, I realized that my sand bed was almost totally calcified. I tried to separate dosing alk and Ca, but my alk dropped 0.8dKh between 12am and 6am.

How do I get out of this cycle of precipitation without dropping my alkalinity so much?

20221221_220414.jpg 20221221_220421.jpg 20221221_220425.jpg

Are you sure your corals aren't also uptaking more alk than they used to do?

We multiple times a day have to dose alk (and only alk) ... but given aiptasia we've cut back from 4 tiny daily doses to 3 tiny daily doses. This has been a great product for our tank:

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure coral growth and a whole tank's worth of coraline algae growth has a lot to do with the increased uptake especially setting of a higher ph. My bigger concern is the calcification of the sand bed. I feel like because of calcified it's just soaking up more and more alkalinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's my generic advice for such situations:

1. Stop all efforts to boost pH.
2. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
3. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
4. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
5. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my generic advice for such situations:

1. Stop all efforts to boost pH.
2. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
3. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
4. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
5. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.
Thanks so much for your advice Randy. I've been dosing sodium bicarbonate the last few days and my alkalinity is finally starting to come up. pH has been around 7.8-8. Nitrates and phosphates were both pretty low since my tank was fallow. I've since added all my fish back in so I'm sure that won't be a problem for much longer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your advice Randy. I've been dosing sodium bicarbonate the last few days and my alkalinity is finally starting to come up. pH has been around 7.8-8. Nitrates and phosphates were both pretty low since my tank was fallow. I've since added all my fish back in so I'm sure that won't be a problem for much longer.

Sounds good. Keep us updated. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back