Can't keep pH up in 50g reef

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH consistently is falling below 7.8 in my 50g mixed reef tank. I have tried adding more alk solution, but now my alk is at 11 and my pH is still low. My calcium is also over 400. I have recalibrated my probe, and checked with a test kit to confirm. Both read similar.

I have tried adding kalk to see if I can boost it, but I don't get much of a bump at all, and with the alk already high, not sure how much more kalk I should be adding.

The tank is in my office 3 feet from an open window. I have tried running the skimmer intake line through a C02 scrubber, but haven't seen a difference their either, besides a reduction in skimmate.

I am considering running an air pump from outside into the tank next, but I really hate the hum from air pumps. My house is from the 1950's and doesn't have great insulation so C02 buildup is not a likely cause IMO.

Any other ideas? It's just weird.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH consistently is falling below 7.8 in my 50g mixed reef tank. I have tried adding more alk solution, but now my alk is at 11 and my pH is still low. My calcium is also over 400. I have recalibrated my probe, and checked with a test kit to confirm. Both read similar.

I have tried adding kalk to see if I can boost it, but I don't get much of a bump at all, and with the alk already high, not sure how much more kalk I should be adding.

The tank is in my office 3 feet from an open window. I have tried running the skimmer intake line through a C02 scrubber, but haven't seen a difference their either, besides a reduction in skimmate.

I am considering running an air pump from outside into the tank next, but I really hate the hum from air pumps. My house is from the 1950's and doesn't have great insulation so C02 buildup is not a likely cause IMO.

Is there any problems with coral growth?

Is the pH probe reliable?

On a clear day stick the air pump outside (so you don’t have to listen to it) aerate the system for the entire day and see if that helps.

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the biggest skimmer you can fit.

If you can, run an airline off the skimmer, outside. You run it off the line - that the silencer is attached too. What happens - is now, the skimmer is pulling in fresh air, aslong as it's on (which for most of us - is 24/7). It's the best and most natural way to boost your pH.

Depending on the size of the skimmer pump, depends on how much of a boost you'll see. I run an airline about 10ft, thru a floor register and out a basement window. My pH sits at like 8.3 to 8.4, almost constantly. Very little fluctuations.....since it's pulling in fresh air all the time.

I didn't get much results from Kalk either...and its messy. CO2 scrubber worked for me...but media is expensive and depending on how bad the Co2 is, even recirculating won't last long.

The skimmer/airline trick - has been amazing...and its since its fresh air - it costs next to nothing.

Old pic..but it shows you how to set it up.

Screenshot_20221210_143234_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any problems with coral growth?

Is the pH probe reliable?

On a clear day stick the air pump outside (so you don’t have to listen to it) aerate the system for the entire day and see if that helps.

I did lose a few colonies last month. My kid was in the hospital and I was away for a few days. Never really figured out the cause. All of the coral colonies were over two years old. The SPS grows well otherwise. LPS doesn't like my tank much.

The probe seems reliable and I have confirmed it with a second probe and a test kit.

Adding the air pump outside will be my last resort, and I am almost there. I was hoping to find any answer other then that with this post LOL.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the biggest skimmer you can fit.

If you can, run an airline off the skimmer, outside. You run it off the line - that the silencer is attached too. What happens - is now, the skimmer is pulling in fresh air, aslong as it's on (which for most of us - is 24/7). It's the best and most natural way to boost your pH.

Depending on the size of the skimmer pump, depends on how much of a boost you'll see. I run an airline about 10ft, thru a floor register and out a basement window. My pH sits at like 8.3 to 8.4, almost constantly. Very little fluctuations.....since it's pulling in fresh air all the time.

I didn't get much results from Kalk either...and its messy. CO2 scrubber worked for me...but media is expensive and depending on how bad the Co2 is, even recirculating won't last long.

The skimmer/airline trick - has been amazing...and its since its fresh air - it costs next to nothing.

Old pic..but it shows you how to set it up.

Screenshot_20221210_143234_Gallery.jpg
So did you get a splitter for your skimmer air hose, and then run a line off of that?

My skimmer now is rated for almost 3x my tank size.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't checked my ph in years and everything is thriving. In other words I would stop worrying about ph levels and concentrate on the more important IE. Alk, etc...

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did you get a splitter for your skimmer air hose, and then run a line off of that?

My skimmer now is rated for almost 3x my tank size.
Beautiful!! Thats what you want.

No - there's a hose attachment on your skimmer pump, right?

This is what draws in air - for the skimmer to make its bubbles. What you do - is run an airline off there....outside. So, instead of pulling in ambient CO2 latent air...its pulling in FREE fresh air.

I have mine...going quite a distance,but like you - since I'm running a large skimmer, the pump will pull the air the distance.

As I said....fresh air is FREE. And, unless you live next to a major highway...quite clean.

Screenshot_20221210_145740_APEXFusion.jpg

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, unless you live next to a major highway...quite clean.
I live a 1/4 mile from one of the busiest freeways in the world. 300,000 plus cars a day.

I might look for a long skimmer hose and try it. My skimmer runs a larger hose then a typical airline, but I am sure it is doable.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't checked my ph in years and everything is thriving. In other words I would stop worrying about ph levels and concentrate on the more important IE. Alk, etc...

How do you know your pH is not perfect if you are not checking it? Have you thought about the coral growth loss you might be experiencing with a lower pH?

Most of the coral farms I know are pretty concerned with keeping it in an 8.3-8.5 range. Some of the farms care more about the pH then the Alk or the Ca levels. There are quite a few ways to run a tank.

But a low pH is detrimental to sps coral, so striving to get it consistently above 8 isn't a bad goal IMO; even if most people who see my tank would be very happy with the results I am getting.

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live a 1/4 mile from one of the busiest freeways in the world. 300,000 plus cars a day.

I might look for a long skimmer hose and try it. My skimmer runs a larger hose then a typical airline, but I am sure it is doable.
That's the only real concern...

I put a piece of pantyhose over the airline - prevent bugs. I also run carbon in the tank...to help with toxins or pollutants.

It's an option and a cheap one! But I've been doing it for sometime and had the best pH results from trying anything else.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know your pH is not perfect if you are not checking it? Have you thought about the coral growth loss you might be experiencing with a lower pH?

Most of the coral farms I know are pretty concerned with keeping it in an 8.3-8.5 range. Some of the farms care more about the pH then the Alk or the Ca levels. There are quite a few ways to run a tank.

But a low pH is detrimental to sps coral, so striving to get it consistently above 8 isn't a bad goal IMO; even if most people who see my tank would be very happy with the results I am getting.
Ya I get it, keep things as perfect as can be. My tank is on cruise control so since everything is thriving ph is not something I concern myself with.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You didn't say what you are dosing as Alkalinity. Sodium Bicarbonate or Sodium Carbonate or something else, like mixture of both?
Sodium Bicarbonate have very little effect on pH, versus Sodium Carbonate raises pH. If you want higher pH, I would suggest dosing Sodium Carbonate ( Soda Ash).

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I get it, keep things as perfect as can be. My tank is on cruise control so since everything is thriving ph is not something I concern myself with.

Is that a Leng Sy cap? Hook a brother up :D I used to go to his store in the 90's down in Irvine.

Your tank is looking great. Mine "looks" great to, I am just trying to get the best growth out of the SPS that I can. This pic is a few months old but you get the idea.

March FTS for Web.JPG

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't say what you are dosing as Alkalinity. Sodium Bicarbonate or Sodium Carbonate or something else, like mixture of both?
Sodium Bicarbonate have very little effect on pH, versus Sodium Carbonate raises pH. If you want higher pH, I would suggest dosing Sodium Carbonate ( Soda Ash).
I dose Reef Code A and B from Brightwell for most of the alkalinity/calcium needs. I have been trying to do some Kalk in addition at night to boost the pH, but it is still dropping to low. I would like to get it consistently over 8, it's been hitting 7.65

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Leng Sy cap? Hook a brother up :D I used to go to his store in the 90's down in Irvine.

Your tank is looking great. Mine "looks" great to, I am just trying to get the best growth out of the SPS that I can. This pic is a few months old but you get the idea.

March FTS for Web.JPG
Looks good, ya it's a Leng si, come over and I'll give ya a piece.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back