Captive bred Yellow tang

Brett101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m starting to notice a bunch of little white spots on my captive bred yellow tang, I didn’t know that captive bred tangs were susceptible to ich as much as wild ones. Any ideas on how to treat it without removing the fish and QT?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t think they are any less susceptible than wild caught. I would first confirm it’s ich, then read/review this article to help. If you have corals/inverts (or ever plan to), there’s no effective option to treat in the display tank. The fallow period is actually closer to 45days vs 70days based on new research since the article was written.

ChampionLighting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're tiny and need to be fed FREQUENTLY to build up their immune system. Change up the food type each time you feed and soak one feeding daily in a vitamin/HUFA supplement and garlic. You can try New Life Thera A pellets which have garlic in them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m starting to notice a bunch of little white spots on my captive bred yellow tang, I didn’t know that captive bred tangs were susceptible to ich as much as wild ones. Any ideas on how to treat it without removing the fish and QT?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Captive born yellow tangs can develop ich as easily as any yellow tang, it's just that if you get them directly from Biota, they are less likely to be harboring this parasite. If the fish first goes through a dealer's tanks, it is exposed just like any other fish.

Are you sure it is ich? This post explains how to post a fish disease issue if you want us to help diagnose and give treatment advice:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please post pics under white lighting to confirm and further assess what you have
All fish are susceptible to disease. Husbandry,diet and water quality management help reduce chances but not necessarily prevent such

OP
OP
B

Brett101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Captive born yellow tangs can develop ich as easily as any yellow tang, it's just that if you get them directly from Biota, they are less likely to be harboring this parasite. If the fish first goes through a dealer's tanks, it is exposed just like any other fish.

Are you sure it is ich? This post explains how to post a fish disease issue if you want us to help diagnose and give treatment advice:

Jay
I’m pretty positive, just little tiny white dots all over him I can try and get a picture

OP
OP
B

Brett101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
B

Brett101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post pics under white lighting to confirm and further assess what you have
All fish are susceptible to disease. Husbandry,diet and water quality management help reduce chances but not necessarily prevent such

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 78

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
White lighting is preferable but this may be crypto with mucus spores and often harder to treat conventionally and requires daily siphoning
Let’s see what @Jay Hemdal thinks on this

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White lighting would help, but seeing spots on the fins (and not just the body) is a pretty clear symptom of ich. Can you see spots on any other fish?

Coppersafe, in a treatment tank is going to be your best course of action, although you could possibly use hyposalinity.

Jay

OP
OP
B

Brett101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White lighting would help, but seeing spots on the fins (and not just the body) is a pretty clear symptom of ich. Can you see spots on any other fish?

Coppersafe, in a treatment tank is going to be your best course of action, although you could possibly use hyposalinity.

Jay
All other fish look as happy as can be and no white spots. I understand copper might be the only other choice but I don’t have any access to a QT tank at all. I also don’t have any corals but some snails and hermit crabs only. Could anything work with what I have in the tank treatment wise.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All other fish look as happy as can be and no white spots. I understand copper might be the only other choice but I don’t have any access to a QT tank at all. I also don’t have any corals but some snails and hermit crabs only. Could anything work with what I have in the tank treatment wise.

Has the number of spots on the tang been changing? Can you take a second picture and then compare them side by side to see if the spots are changing location? If they are the same spots, day to day, it may not be ich (but I think it is).

There are a number of products that purport to cure ich in a display tank with invertebrates - most fall short in real world applications. They are on the market because there is no oversight of the aquarium fish medication market for "tonics" and because people without a quarantine tank are desperate for something.

Jay

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only Copper, Hypo and TTM has been proven to work on ick.
All else “snake-oil” but if your stuck with no QT (a bucket] not much choice.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Humblefish has a post on treating with hydrogen peroxide. I used it once in a Red Sea 350 with Green Star Polyps. The affected fish recovered. Not sure if it kills ich, but helps to raise the oxygen level so they don’t suffocate. You might give it a try.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here is a link

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish has a post on treating with hydrogen peroxide. I used it once in a Red Sea 350 with Green Star Polyps. The affected fish recovered. Not sure if it kills ich, but helps to raise the oxygen level so they don’t suffocate. You might give it a try.
You really need to use peroxide test strips if you want to dose that in DT. The amount of reactive peroxide is dependent on the level of organics in the tank - a dose that works in one tank could be deadly in another. The first thing to go will be shrimp, then snails, then fish. Corals seem to tolerate high peroxides better.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back