Cat eye zoa not opening

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’ve had some zoa frags I was gifted from a secret Santa gift. I acclimated and dipped them all when I got them. 3 of the frags are doing great; fully open and multiplying. One of my frags (cat eyes) rarely open. I had them on a rock in the sandbed under the lights (radion blues running ab+)

yesterday I did some re aquascaping and moved them around. Although the cat eyes are closed, and when they do open they only open slightly.... I noticed their stalks seem extended. I find it weird that they don’t have enough light, but I decided to move them up onto the rock work a bit higher to see if it helps but nothing today. Just curious if anyone has some ideas on what I can do?

lights:
Radion gen 5 xr15 blues running an+ at 50% haven’t messed with the ab+ setting at all.
ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: .5
No algae problems but I don’t have a teat
Ph: 8.1 (was a bit lower 7.6 and ive been working to get it up with c02 scrubber)
Dkh is lower than I’d like at 7.5 (Red Sea)
Not sure on calcium or magnesium since I don’t have a test for that yet (no LPS or SPS yet)
I do have corraline growth on the rocks

I realize I can’t comment on some parameters because I dont have a test kit yet, but I’ve had tanks before and I’m pretty well versed. Since I don’t have the corals to really need to test yet, I haven’t been running out to grab them. Taking things slow.

I have 2 snowflake clowns and a clean up crew for inhabitants. I checked flow, but the mp40 is only set at 40% power and not blasting them. And since the other zoas are on the same rock, pretty much same location I find it weird they would be bothered either. Are cat eyes more sensitive to light than the others?

I’ve checked for pests as well. I don’t see anything on the base of the stalks and anything that would be eating them.

thanks for the help!

F338CEE1-36FC-41D6-8968-24CEBA3DA117.jpeg 3F46F8DC-FD44-4DEB-8EBE-04B4FBDF7C1C.jpeg D959C135-6544-47F5-9BFE-B245023865DD.jpeg

ArtofReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to get them to open up in my opinion is to do a 15-30min iodine dip, preferably temperature controlled if possible. This will help with any pests or bacterial infections that they may have gotten which is irritating them. After the dip you might have to wait a day or 2 before they open up so just be patient. I've had zoas stay closed for weeks before they decided to open up. Best is to keep them under lower light until they do or whatever light they were in before they closed up. If 2 days go by after the dip and they haven't opened up then dip them again. Goodluck !!

OP
OP
dmy535

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update in case someone else is dealing with this same issue. I did what @ArtofReefing suggested. I told the frag out, did a dip in coral rx for 15 minutes and then a dip for 10:00 in seachem reef dip (which is mostly iodine based) and put them back in the tank. I did the dip on Sunday, and Monday they were still pretty closed up, but today (Tuesday) they are opening and I actually saw all 4 heads open!

ArtofReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update in case someone else is dealing with this same issue. I did what @ArtofReefing suggested. I told the frag out, did a dip in coral rx for 15 minutes and then a dip for 10:00 in seachem reef dip (which is mostly iodine based) and put them back in the tank. I did the dip on Sunday, and Monday they were still pretty closed up, but today (Tuesday) they are opening and I actually saw all 4 heads open!
Great to hear they pulled through!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back