Cdness's "Late to the Game" 29G BioCube...

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I acquired a 29G BC and figured I might as well start a build thread here and enter, even though I know very well I have no chance of winning. Figured why not.

Tank: 29G BioCube currently with PC hood. Will be retrofitted with a multi-chip LED and EcoExotic strips.

Rock: Ceramic fired CeramEco VidaRock structure with some live rock out of my 125G to get the cycle fast tracked. The live rock out of my 125G started originally as BRS Reef Saver Rock

Substrate: Regular Caribsea aragonite sand, nothing special

Water: RODI mixed with Red Sea Pro salt

Dosing: I hope to maintain with water changes, but if not, dosing will be manual via BRS Calcium Chloride and DIY Soda Ash (Baked Baking Soda)

Flow: I will see what powerheads I have lying around as I am not drilling it for a closed loop... I hate powerheads, but what can I do with a BC29...lol

Here are my 3 top goals with this build:

1. Build a near zero impact reef to show it can be done without taking a single thing from the reef

2. This build must be extremely frugal as I have a new baby in the house and very little extra cash. I figured I can leverage this toward the zero impact by trying to recyle equipment that would have never been used again.

3. Provide a good backup home for some of the corals in my main 125G tank, allowing for a second colony of some of my corals which will prevent total losses in case an issue happens to arrise.

So the reason for setting this tank up is in reaction to a partial crash. It was 100% unexplained and in the end I lost colonies, but I still have smaller frags of the corals around. I want to have a place that I can have some of these corals which is 100% isolated from the main tank. The 29G BioCube is the perfect solution to that. It will consist mainly of zoas and LPS, but I may place a couple easier SPS colonies at the top.

At the time of this post the tank is still in the garage... The stand is in the house though and the tank will be filled as soon as I am back from vacation. I figured I will let it cycle until after MACNA and add some coral livestock last minute before the deadline. I know I will not have the growth everyone has, but the tank was going up anyway so I guess why not enter the Nano in 90 contest.

I will post a picture of the stand with today's date on it when I get home.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where da pic?

OP
OP
cdness

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting on the road to "Epic Fail" I think... This tank isn't even wet yet :(

I do not feel it would be right to continue in the contest at this point due to the need to have a good cycle before adding anything to the tank. I will exit this contest and make the normal build thread for the 29BC...

Good luck everyone else!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 76 47.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back