Cerith Snail Antenna Out

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for a cerith snail to sleep with it's antenna out? I'm a new reefer and it's the first and only clean up crew member. I'd say I've had the snail about a month and it seems to be doing ok, but yesterday I noticed it feeding while still daylight which isn't typical then it burrowed itself with it's antenna out. I had never actually seen it's antenna extended like that day or night. I know at least one other snail does this as part of normal behavior, but curious if it's out of the ordinary for cerith or not. Since they are less popular options I searched but couldn't find an existing thread.

I have a 10 gallon nano. I haven't seen much green algae lately but I've read they also eat diatoms and I have plenty of those at the moment so I assume he isn't running out of food...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occasionally I'll catch a nassarius (etc.) snail with just its antenna sticking out. This usually happens closer to dusk (when all the potential predators start to sleep), but every now and then I'll see the odd antenna sticking up during the day.

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disregard. I don't know what this thing is but somehow it end up sticking straight up out of the sand. Nothing is attached to the other end. I found the cerith elsewhere in the tank. I would delete this thread but can't figure out how.
PXL_20230111_185456612.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back