Chaeto Alternatives for Refugium

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda everything, but roughed up acrylic screens, work really good. I like it because after everything was very established, I added an urchin to my sump and he eats it as fast as it grows.
I occasionally drop a large turbo in my fuge but I always wonder if it isn't better to manually remove algae instead of allowing it to become snail waste and contribute to nutrients.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a tank full of Tangs, Triggers and full sized Angels if you really want to see Chaeto grow...

I was talking out a contractor bag of the stuff each month...

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never succeeded with Uva. Codium and caulerpa grow best with me. Did not succeed with chaeto either, but I do not like the look of it anyway, so I am not going to try again.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ive taken the lazy approach in one of my systems too. Chaeto was doing barely ok. I was getting turf algae from time to time. This last time I had to pull my rocks out for a different reason and wound up scrubbing all the turf off all the rocks with peroxide. Ironically, shortly after doing this GHA in my Fuge took off and out competed the Chaeto. The GHA is about a 2 inches thick mat on top of the water. The Chaeto is within the GHA. The GHA is super dark green and really healthy looking. Knock on wood this keeps up, but I don’t have any in my display. So if it wants to live in my Fuge I’m OK with that. I am building a filter set up to ensure if any make it out of my Fuge it won’t get pushed up to my display. My nutrients are 7.7 and .06. It’s currently running opposite my light schedule but I don’t struggle with PH, my average is about 8.48 (I do multiple things to keep it there). Why are folks shutting their Fuge light off with a ph >8.5?

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a good angle to consider. I didn't think about what would happen if these pieces were broken.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Chaeto actually does pretty good in my system. It was difficult to get started, and tried to die a couple of times early on, but once I turned on the refugium light 100% 24/7 and started dosing Chaeto Grow it has done really well. This one started as a golf-ball size lump from Algae Barn.

I guess I’m just “macro-curious” :face-with-tears-of-joy:

IMG_8297.jpeg
IMG_8298.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back