Change substrate a week and a half ago now outbreak

gath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I changed my substrate drone crushed coral mixed with caribasea Hawaiian black to Fiji pink. My water parameters was always good with weekly water changes however too much detritus in the horrible substrate I picked so I decided to switch it out. I did it by 1/3s over a five day period. It’s a 60 gal 4’ acrylic tank. Running a skimmer 24/7 now a UV 24/7.

everything was great water cleared up quickly but now a week and a half later I’m dealing with green film algea that’s covering the glass everytime I look away. I do have a RBT that still seems thriving. Didn’t loose color and is open. Mushrooms seem good. I do have GSP that refuse to come out cause my valentini keeps picking at it. If anyone wants a free valentini.

do you guys think this is just a bacteria bloom from the substrate change. Breaking in the new sand?

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely but it's nothing you can't fix. Im just about conquering a red slime / cyano outbreak by raising my nitrates to appropriate levels for softy's and lps coral. About 8 to 10 ppm. I just let time fix it and it's almost one. About a year but it sure beats starting over lol.

You definitely don't want crazy nitrate or phosphates but definitely don't let your tank go baron or you'll just make room for more nuisance algae to take place

My best advice is if you don't have a skimmer than buy one. Makes a decent difference in film algae IME. Also do your best syphoning it out with water changed. Honestly rushing to fix the problem may introduce new ones. Just take your time and grade your progress by the week. You can always try algone filter pads. They're not a miracle but they do help keep phosphates and nitrates at acceptable levels

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree it's likely a bloom due to elevated parameters from the substrate swap. A lot of your bacteria and nitrifying agents live in the sand, so when you replace that, you're limiting your systems ability while the new sand is populated. Test your PO4 and NO3, and ammonia. Those would be the main ones I would expect to elevate after the substrate is disturbed or in your case replaced.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I changed my substrate drone crushed coral mixed with caribasea Hawaiian black to Fiji pink. My water parameters was always good with weekly water changes however too much detritus in the horrible substrate I picked so I decided to switch it out. I did it by 1/3s over a five day period. It’s a 60 gal 4’ acrylic tank. Running a skimmer 24/7 now a UV 24/7.

everything was great water cleared up quickly but now a week and a half later I’m dealing with green film algea that’s covering the glass everytime I look away. I do have a RBT that still seems thriving. Didn’t loose color and is open. Mushrooms seem good. I do have GSP that refuse to come out cause my valentini keeps picking at it. If anyone wants a free valentini.

do you guys think this is just a bacteria bloom from the substrate change. Breaking in the new sand?
I'd guess nutrients are high. Gsp will hide out in high nitrate. It won't kill it unfortunately. Maybe some carbon along with the skimmer for a while. Your glass should get dirty every few days. It's normal. But not cloudy everyday.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back