Changing to a new aquarium

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

This is my first post, but I have been trolling for years! Forgive me if this has been answered, but I could not find a for sure answer anywhere. I have a 60 gallon display with a 30 gallon sump that I am going to be upgrading to a 130 display and 40 gallon sump. My question is: If I move all rock, and marine pure to the new aquarium, do I need to wait for it to cycle first if I am careful not to add new bioload in the process. I am not sure if all beneficial bacteria will move on the rocks and marine pure, or if there is good bacteria on the walls of the sump, tank, refugium area? I am moving houses, and would love to only stress the fish once. The goal would be to move fish from old tank and old house to new tank and new house all in one move. Is this a good idea? Or should I go ahead and allow the tank to cycle and just move the fish and corals two times?

Thanks in advance,

David

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are using the same live rock and additional seeded media such as the marine pure you should be fine. I'd recommend using as much of the old water as possible and using new sand if you're planning to have sand in the aquarium. You may have a mini cycle and new diatom outbreak etc but it won't be like a new cycle. You're adding more water not more bioload. :) The bacteria lost on the tank glass/sump is minor in comparison to what is living in the rock/marine pure. Moving all the fish into the new tank during the move will be fine.

As with all big changes, monitor closely for a couple weeks and maybe consider picking up an ammonia alert badge or seneye for peace of mind. I don't believe adding a bacterial additive like BioSpira or Dr. Tims will do any harm.

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using the same live rock and additional seeded media such as the marine pure you should be fine. I'd recommend using as much of the old water as possible and using new sand if you're planning to have sand in the aquarium. You may have a mini cycle and new diatom outbreak etc but it won't be like a new cycle. You're adding more water not more bioload. :) The bacteria lost on the tank glass/sump is minor in comparison to what is living in the rock/marine pure. Moving all the fish into the new tank during the move will be fine.

As with all big changes, monitor closely for a couple weeks and maybe consider picking up an ammonia alert badge or seneye for peace of mind. I don't believe adding a bacterial additive like BioSpira or Dr. Tims will do any harm.

Thanks so much! That is what I thought, but wanted to hear it from another person!

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just go real easy on adding additional fish, your existing bacteria load won't be able to handle it for a while. Otherwise you should be fine. Just my .02. Good luck!

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just go real easy on adding additional fish, your existing bacteria load won't be able to handle it for a while. Otherwise you should be fine. Just my .02. Good luck!

I just noticed that I did not mention I have a bunch if lps coral, a bta, and a squamosa clam. If I get a mini cycle I assume some of them are at risk? I don't mind waiting on the new tank to cycle, I was just trying to prevent unneeded stress on my fish. Should I just make 2 moves? Or do yall think my clams and coral will be safe also?

Thanks,

David

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some sponges of something with a lot of surface area in your current sump and then chuck them into the new sump. Or just transfer everything over.

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would probably still be fine, it'll be almost like doing a 50% water change it you can carryover all of the existing bacteria, rock, sand, etc. A better option might be to ask your LFS to hold some of your corals. Transfer everything over. Feed it pretty heavy at first, and hit it with a microbacter to help seed any new rock and sand. Give it a few weeks, if you don't get a mini cycle, you're probably good to go. Fish will do much better than corals. A few years back, I drove a 54 gallon tank from Florida to Jersey, set it up and didn't lose a single fish.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back