Checking Floor Strength

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of professional does one consult to figure out if their floor is strong enough to support a large fish tank? General contractor comes to mind but in my area they have so much business they won’t even talk to you if your project is less than $5k.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a “local”, 1 hour away, engineering firm. Structural engineer came out and assessed who was familiar with residential construction. I think the driving time I paid cost more than the work. :)

One other note. Glad I did as I was putting a 220 gallons on the main floor (have basement) and even though it was across the joists and the back of the aquarium was on the main support beam I still needed additional support. Of course that was after a safety factor and assuming my teenage children held a party while I was gone and everyone stood around the tank.

OP
OP
B

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I think mine is going to be simple as it looks to me like it's on a concrete slab. This room is lower than the rest of my house (which has a crawl space) but a few inches higher than the garage so I just want that piece of mind that I'm not going to break something when I put 2000+ lbs on the floor.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of professional does one consult to figure out if their floor is strong enough to support a large fish tank? General contractor comes to mind but in my area they have so much business they won’t even talk to you if your project is less than $5k.

A structural engineer is what you need , a general contractor is just going to have one check it then will upcharge you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I found a “local”, 1 hour away, engineering firm. Structural engineer came out and assessed who was familiar with residential construction. I think the driving time I paid cost more than the work. :)
How much did they charge?

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for a professional. I'm sure you can find good advice here ;)

OP, if your tank is going to sit on a concrete slab, you should be good, no matter the size. Can you give us more details? sounds like ~200 gal tank?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious at what size tank would this become a concern?

I'd start to worry around 150 gallons. However if you put the tank against a load bearing wall, which means the floor studs will be perpendicular to the tank, it can support a lot of weight.

To the OP, if it's on a slab, don't sweat it at all.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

OP, if your tank is going to sit on a concrete slab, you should be good, no matter the size. Can you give us more details? sounds like ~200 gal tank?
At 8400# I would like a pro to assess my floor and jacks for a piece of mind. I have 800 gallons on a steel stand with 300+ pounds of rock, 300# in lights and a lot more bringing me closer to 5 tons

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start to worry around 150 gallons. However if you put the tank against a load bearing wall, which means the floor studs will be perpendicular to the tank, it can support a lot of weight.

To the OP, if it's on a slab, don't sweat it at all.

I don't get that.
doesn't the floor have more support than the stand the tank is sitting on?

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others mentioned you will find a ton of threads on this. Doing it made me sleep better at night. I agree it can hold “a ton of weight” but was surprised (with calculations) that even against a load bearing wall and perpendicular to floor joist my 220 was at the limit. It was actually 8% overloaded. Added some additional support via a new wall in the basement for a bathroom.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did they charge?
its going to depend. Some will charge the standard office rate and some charge as a side job. Calling around will be your best bet. What have you all paid for those that have done this before?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get that.
doesn't the floor have more support than the stand the tank is sitting on?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Let's say someone is putting a 150g tank in a room. On average you can say a tank setup with sump and stand and what not will weigh about 10 lbs per gallon, so 1500 lbs. Let's make it safe and use a 15% margin of safety, call it 1725 lbs. If the OP wouldn't worry about 10-12 average people standing in the room during a party, they shouldn't worry about a tank in the room either.

OP
OP
B

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

230g tank plus another ~60g underneath. I’m not 100% sure it’s a concrete slab since the rest of the house has a crawl space. Even if I went underneath the house and found concrete I don’t know that I could just wing it and say it’s fine without losing some sleep at night.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back