Chemicals, chemicals, and more chemicals....

IdahoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been tossing the idea of changing my chem's in the tank. I've been running Chemipure Elite with Purigen, and I am always extremely nervous about recharging my purigen with bleach, and ensuring all the bleach is gone. Well this last go around, even with soaking in RODI and Prime for 24 hours, and rinsing again with RODI, my tank didn't look happy. I did a large water change, got rid of the purigen, changed out the Chemipure with a new bag of Seachem's Matrix Carbon, and a pouch of Seachem Phosgaurd. So, what is everyone running in the biocube these days? I think I lost a cleaner shrimp (had 2). My snails and crabs are still doing good, as is my feather duster, Mushrooms and new zoas.....my two B. Cardinals that are about a week and a half in the tank, are not looking very happy either. Another water change is in order (have been out of town since Monday). Tested my water, all is good:

Temp 79.3 (holds steady there)
Sal - 1.025 (tested with Milwakee that's been calibrated with RODI)
PH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - under .10
Phosphates - 0
Alkalinity (KH) - 160
Calcium - 400

That's all I have test kits for. Going to take a sample to my LFS and get a second opinion.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switch over to Balling Method and live is so much simpler http://www.leonardosreef.com/2015/0...solution-for-calcium-and-alkalinity-addition/ is use the Aquaforest 1+2+3 pre mixed and sold all of my miscellaneous chemicals. I still dose Mg ever once in awhile, and I have Ca but have not dose the Ca in 3 months
I try the balling method ( honestly didn't have anyplace to put those quart bottle - not lite version full)
So what does it have to do with keeping the "tank clean" I presumed it was mainly for feeding corals and keeping your alk, mag and cal levels steady.
Am I wrong here?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try the balling method ( honestly didn't have anyplace to put those quart bottle - not lite version full)
So what does it have to do with keeping the "tank clean" I presumed it was mainly for feeding corals and keeping your alk, mag and cal levels steady.
Am I wrong here?
I hired someone

Just kidding :D:D

Like most I do my water changes, and tank maintenance. I just do not have to watch the parameters as mush and remember to dose the tank.:)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back