CHEMIPURE BLUE

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have posted a few posts here lately about my newer tank. it has been up for 4 months and the water is just not clear. Ammonia 0, Nitrates 0 nitrites 0 Phosphates .024. Did a 20 or so gallon water change over the weekend and that was first in 4 months. I have filter floss, charcoal and one bag of Chemipure. My LFS says I need more Chemipure or a UV sterilizer and that is the only way to clear it. He says Chemipure Blue as well.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrates? Hmmm, what test? That's sort of impossible. Chemipure doesn't do anything. It's just a really expensive carbon with some resins mixed in. I mean, sure it might clear up your tank over time, but plain old carbon would also.

OP
OP
S

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrates? Hmmm, what test? That's sort of impossible. Chemipure doesn't do anything. It's just a really expensive carbon with some resins mixed in. I mean, sure it might clear up your tank over time, but plain old carbon would also.
I have used API and had it tested at two other stores. My fish are doing well, I just want clear water

IMG_20200224_185416.jpg

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like you have enough live rock unless u have a bunch of biomedia of some sort in the sump. U might need more nitrifying bacteria in your system. Buy a bunch of bio blocks or whatever you want and add them in your sump and maybe jumpstart that with bacteria in a bottle. Maybe dr. Tim’s one and only(how I started mine) or MicrōBacter7. It should clear up if you have enough bacteria in the system.
and I use chemipure blue too. One big container is good for 75 ga. So figure out how much water volume is in your entire system and have enough in there for that

OP
OP
S

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10 of the littel bio block squares that are supposed to be the equivelant to 20 pounds live rock each. So if that is correct it is about 260 pounds with my caribsea rock

IMG_20200224_185544.jpg

OP
OP
S

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like you have enough live rock unless u have a bunch of biomedia of some sort in the sump. U might need more nitrifying bacteria in your system. Buy a bunch of bio blocks or whatever you want and add them in your sump and maybe jumpstart that with bacteria in a bottle. Maybe dr. Tim’s one and only(how I started mine) or MicrōBacter7. It should clear up if you have enough bacteria in the system.
and I use chemipure blue too. One big container is good for 75 ga. So figure out how much water volume is in your entire system and have enough in there for that
I started with a big bottle of turbo start 900 as well. The whole 16 oz bottle which was up to 320 gallons. My tank is only a 650.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well generally speaking it’s 1lb. Of live rock per gallon of water. So even with 10 blocks, a little live rock and a little live sand you need more lol. That’s prolly why u have cloudy water

OP
OP
S

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well generally speaking it’s 1lb. Of live rock per gallon of water. So even with 10 blocks, a little live rock and a little live sand you need more lol. That’s prolly why u have cloudy water
I do not figure your math. I have 175 gallon total. Which should be 175 lbs or live rock. My Caribsea shapes is 60 pounds and the bio block things are 10 x 20 pound equivelant. So my system would have 260 pounds total so I am way over.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get enough chemipure for 175 gallons. U only have enough for like 75. Maybe?? Lol even without adding chemipure tho I had clear water but every system is different . I hope somebody else on here has another idea

OP
OP
S

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that a bacterial bloom would not happen this late and would be in first month. If it is, then I need a UV sterilizer correct? Chemipure will not take care of it?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that a bacterial bloom would not happen this late and would be in first month. If it is, then I need a UV sterilizer correct? Chemipure will not take care of it?
If it is a bacterial bloom, I’d get a powerhead pointed at the surface for oxygenation. Chemipure will do nothing for a bacterial bloom. A UV will take care of it, but I would dose some bacterial products, like Dr. Tims Waste Away and One and Only first and then resort to the UV. The products will outcompete the bloom.

OP
OP
S

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a bacterial bloom, I’d get a powerhead pointed at the surface for oxygenation. Chemipure will do nothing for a bacterial bloom. A UV will take care of it, but I would dose some bacterial products, like Dr. Tims Waste Away and One and Only first and then resort to the UV. The products will outcompete the bloom.
IS microbactre 7 similar or others? If I cant find waste away local

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back