Chirping fish?!

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my i habitants makes a pretty loud chirping sound from time to time, but have no idea which one.
Hoping someone could tell me which one:

Possible suspects:

Clown fish
Kole tang
Purple tang
Flame hawkfish

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you positive it's not a hitchiker pistol shrimp? There are rock boring varieties that come in often on live rock and make clicking sounds as the hammer the rocks. Totally harmless and interesting little guys. Certainly a possibility if you're not positive it's one of the fish.

Typically the Damsels I hear making noise are very large (like big maroons and such)

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that certain clown species (specifically the Skunk complex) can make audible chirps, however I have yet to hear any noise from my group of pink skunks, who ae supposed to be the loudest. Maybe I haven't listened hard enough. Are you sure it's not a pistol shrimp? They don't click all too often, so it fits your timeline, however it sounds like more of a pop than a chirp. My guess is the clown.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My triggers made lots of noise. I have not heard anything from any other fish.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sound I hear is the sound my wife makes when she spots a new coral in my tank. Not sure if chirping is the best descriptor.
Loudest fish I ever heard was the deep bellowing sound of an emperor angel.
Well atleast she is engaged with the tank.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others, I've heard that some clownfish can chirp. As I understand it, it's pretty rare for them to actually do so even if they are one of the species that can, however, so not everyone with a species that can chirp will hear them do so. I don't know if I could find the thread again, but there was a thread a little while back where someone described having their clownfish grouped in a corner of the tank chirping, and a few others shared their similar experiences.

So, my guess is that you're hearing the clownfish.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you positive it's not a hitchiker pistol shrimp? There are rock boring varieties that come in often on live rock and make clicking sounds as the hammer the rocks. Totally harmless and interesting little guys. Certainly a possibility if you're not positive it's one of the fish.

Typically the Damsels I hear making noise are very large (like big maroons and such)
I have two smaller regular clowns.
Never seen a shrimp in my tank, and only used dry rocks.
This sound is not new, just heard it again and reminded me to ask here.

I've heard that certain clown species (specifically the Skunk complex) can make audible chirps, however I have yet to hear any noise from my group of pink skunks, who ae supposed to be the loudest. Maybe I haven't listened hard enough. Are you sure it's not a pistol shrimp? They don't click all too often, so it fits your timeline, however it sounds like more of a pop than a chirp. My guess is the clown.
It's not just audible, but a pretty loud sound, that can easily be heard from a distance with tv on etc.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two smaller regular clowns.
Never seen a shrimp in my tank, and only used dry rocks.
This sound is not new, just heard it again and reminded me to ask here.

It's not just audible, but a pretty loud sound, that can easily be heard from a distance with tv on etc.
and you are sure it is not the clicking of a Pistol Shrimp?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the clownfish if it is a bigger species. Noisy buggers!

Bad Neighbor Cinema GIF by Nordisk Film - Vi elsker film

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
huh. waht size are your clowns? what breed?
would say 2 and 2,5"- Ocellaris.

and you are sure it is not the clicking of a Pistol Shrimp?
Anything is possible in a reef tank, but never seen a shrimp in there, and its not a clicking sound. It is a one or two loud short chirps.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would say 2 and 2,5"- Ocellaris.

Anything is possible in a reef tank, but never seen a shrimp in there, and its not a clicking sound. It is a one or two loud short chirps.
not sure either...but if you can hear it over a TV that makes sense it may be a shrimp, and I have Pistols in two tank the I did not add them to.. smile

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 49 56.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back