Chiton?

Unstoppable algae!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200130_000004.jpg

Found while dipping zoa's. Incredibly small.

Thanks

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what it looks like to me. I used to have a fuzzy chiton. Very unusual and interesting critter!
Used to have some chiton, actually a large Hawaiian one. A crab decided to peel it off and kill it... Seems like they like killing them more than snails in my experience.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to have some chiton, actually a large Hawaiian one. A crab decided to peel it off and kill it... Seems like they like killing them more than snails in my experience.

Seems like I had 2 for a pretty good while. I'm not sure what happened to them, but eventually they were gone. Maybe the same demise as yours...

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like I had 2 for a pretty good while. I'm not sure what happened to them, but eventually they were gone. Maybe the same demise as yours...
I have visited tidepools often, and Chitons are definitely much less common than snails for sure. Their shell is kind of useless against crabs that can peel them off. Heck, they have parts of their flesh sticking out (their shell doesn't completely cover their outer side). Often I see them under overhangs, holes, and under rocks or some are under heavy wave action where crabs can't reach them safely. It seems they have to hide often... so much for their shells lol

OP
OP
Unstoppable algae!

Unstoppable algae!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks for all the quick reply's.
Bad news is he did not survive the coral Rx dip, better safe than sorry.

Thanks again!!

OP
OP
Unstoppable algae!

Unstoppable algae!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an acrylic tank, time to toss that little guy. I got one from a buddy of mine and just one absolutely destroyed my tank.
Thanks, it died when dipping the coral. I noticed the spec on the frag plug and it finally came off when splashing the water around. The frag is still in time out until further notice lol "quarantine"

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back