Cirolanid Isopod?

b_d_e91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this on my new Orange Prawn Goby from Dr. Reef this morning. He is the first fish in the "Display Tank". I haven't seen anything like this on my Orange Skunks that have been in the fuge for about a month. I did source about 10 pounds of the "Treasure Chest" Liverock from TBS.

Orange Prawn Goby.jpeg

TBS says it will not kill the fish nor reproduce in the tank. I find that hard to believe.

Those with prior experience, what did you end up doing? I figure I have several options or a combination thereof:

1) Do nothing and let it run it's course.
2) Attempt to trap them as suggested here with other posts related to the ciroland isopods.
3) Remove the fish and wait 6 weeks (as suggested).
A) I'd likely have to remove all of the liverock to catch the prawn goby.
B) If it came to this, I'd likely set up another holding tank for the goby and orange skunks.

Do these "micro-predators" require prompt action or can they be considered an accepted nuance. I get mixed opinions from prior related posts. Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this on my new Orange Prawn Goby from Dr. Reef this morning. He is the first fish in the "Display Tank". I haven't seen anything like this on my Orange Skunks that have been in the fuge for about a month. I did source about 10 pounds of the "Treasure Chest" Liverock from TBS.

Orange Prawn Goby.jpeg

TBS says it will not kill the fish nor reproduce in the tank. I find that hard to believe.

Those with prior experience, what did you end up doing? I figure I have several options or a combination thereof:

1) Do nothing and let it run it's course.
2) Attempt to trap them as suggested here with other posts related to the ciroland isopods.
3) Remove the fish and wait 6 weeks (as suggested).
A) I'd likely have to remove all of the liverock to catch the prawn goby.
B) If it came to this, I'd likely set up another holding tank for the goby and orange skunks.

Do these "micro-predators" require prompt action or can they be considered an accepted nuance. I get mixed opinions from prior related posts. Thanks.
I’d go with option 2. They don’t seem to reproduce in aquariums, but can be damaging to small fish even in small numbers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back