clarisea water inlet pipe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the point of the water inlet pipe? those slits always get clogged up for me over a period of time. I was thinking about just cutting a huge hole in the pipe. Would there be any issues with doing that?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the point of the water inlet pipe? those slits always get clogged up for me over a period of time. I was thinking about just cutting a huge hole in the pipe. Would there be any issues with doing that?
Are your slots facing up, or down. I ask as I have found, by accident, that it works much better pointed down. How old is the filter? On a new install, once the heavy particulates have been filtered out, you should not be encountering particles large enough to clog the slots. The only other thing I can think of is flow. Maybe there isn’t enough flow going through the unit to keep the debris moving and it’s just settling in the tube? I don’t think enlarging the slots or drilling holes would negatively affect anything, but you should not be needing to do that. I would look at a few things first, to see if there’s another cause for the problem.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been using the unit for about a year now w/ the slots pointing up. i dont know how i would make the slots point down and still create a tight seal from the 90 degree inlet pipe. after about 3-4 months i can see that some of the slots are getting clogged. the strange thing is i dont need to open up my return line valve any, its still flowing the same amount of water.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been using the unit for about a year now w/ the slots pointing up. i dont know how i would make the slots point down and still create a tight seal from the 90 degree inlet pipe. after about 3-4 months i can see that some of the slots are getting clogged. the strange thing is i dont need to open up my return line valve any, its still flowing the same amount of water.
There’s orings at both ends of the pipe and it doesn’t need to be very tight. You should be able to go half a turn tighter or looser and still have a good seal. If I remember right there’s a logo on the blank knob end that says dd or something. It should be right side up, which points the slots down. When they’re facing down debris pours out the bottom. When facing up, debris builds up inside the tube over time and causes it clog a little. I ran mine facing up once after cleaning and it clogged in about two months. When I have it facing down, it’s never clogged.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back