Cloudy water the day after water change

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking this is a bacterial bloom of sorts, but not sure.

I did a 20% water change yesterday, it was well overdue, but surprisingly all parameters were normal aside from nitrate being around 30.

Now today my water is really cloudy, but everyone looks to be fine and all corals are open like normal. I did not agitate the sand bed in any way, so I know it’s not from that. Basically just killed the return pump and did my water change from the sump. Now my sump had a TON of algae that I removed (looks brand new again), and I did swap out the sock and rinsed out the sponge.

Now to my question, assuming this is a bacterial bloom, is that something that microbacter or similar products would take care of? Or would carbon be more beneficial? Or something else?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a UV or removing whatever is decaying will clear it besides letting it ride out. Make sure to increase oxygenation especially at night. Adding microbacter would make it worse as that is just adding more heterotrophic bacteria to a bloom of said bacteria.

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely nothing decaying, but I did forget to turn back on my air stone that I had going in the sump, but I doubt that would cause a bloom like this.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely nothing decaying, but I did forget to turn back on my air stone that I had going in the sump, but I doubt that would cause a bloom like this.

Yeah no that wouldn't lead to a bloom. You can always buy a cheap UV sterilizer with a built in pump to toss in when necessary or just wait it out.

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just think of something else. I also dosed nopox for the first time last night and I forgot to turn that air stone in my sump back on… the instructions do say to make sure skimmers are on to help oxygenate due to bacterial somethingrather. I’m thinking maybe this is what caused it

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just think of something else. I also dosed nopox for the first time last night and I forgot to turn that air stone in my sump back on… the instructions do say to make sure skimmers are on to help oxygenate due to bacterial somethingrather. I’m thinking maybe this is what caused it

Ah was the skimmer off? Do you have a skimmer? Its probably the nopox.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try increasing surface agitation a bit more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back