Clown fish issues

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have been away from the hobby for a few years and just now coming back since my daughter really enjoys fish, so I thought that was good enough reason to jump back in. Hoping for some help with a current issue I am having.

I setup a QT tank middle of December of picked up two clowns and one firefish to start out my display tank. I put them through the full QT with copper power ranging from 2.25 to 2.50 for the entirety as well as dosing general cure and Metroplex on alternating doses. All three fish were great and healthy the entire time, never saw any signs of issues.

Last night I decided the new display was properly cycled and ready to move the fish over so I made up a batch of fresh saltwater, moved the fish in to that and then moved them into the display so not to bring over any meds or germs from the QT. I got up this morning and noticed that the larger of the clowns is now showing white spots on the skin and fins. From this morning to this evening it looks like more have shown on the fish. Gone through trying to decide if it is Ick, Brook, Velvet or hopefully just something from the stress of the move. Also noticing after tonight neither clown is eating much if any during two separate feedings but the firefish is eating great.

Any help in identifying what is going on and what should be my best course of action is greatly appreciated. I was doing my very best and trying to keep this display as sterile of disease as possible even going as far as figuring out how to QT any new corals and Inverts I would be bringing in, so it is a hard blow to start of the journey of this tank with something like this when I thought i was checking off every box.
IMG_0539.jpeg
IMG_0538.jpeg
IMG_0537.jpeg
IMG_0554.jpeg
IMG_0553.jpeg
IMG_0551.jpeg
IMG_0550.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,
I have been away from the hobby for a few years and just now coming back since my daughter really enjoys fish, so I thought that was good enough reason to jump back in. Hoping for some help with a current issue I am having.

I setup a QT tank middle of December of picked up two clowns and one firefish to start out my display tank. I put them through the full QT with copper power ranging from 2.25 to 2.50 for the entirety as well as dosing general cure and Metroplex on alternating doses. All three fish were great and healthy the entire time, never saw any signs of issues.

Last night I decided the new display was properly cycled and ready to move the fish over so I made up a batch of fresh saltwater, moved the fish in to that and then moved them into the display so not to bring over any meds or germs from the QT. I got up this morning and noticed that the larger of the clowns is now showing white spots on the skin and fins. From this morning to this evening it looks like more have shown on the fish. Gone through trying to decide if it is Ick, Brook, Velvet or hopefully just something from the stress of the move. Also noticing after tonight neither clown is eating much if any during two separate feedings but the firefish is eating great.

Any help in identifying what is going on and what should be my best course of action is greatly appreciated. I was doing my very best and trying to keep this display as sterile of disease as possible even going as far as figuring out how to QT any new corals and Inverts I would be bringing in, so it is a hard blow to start of the journey of this tank with something like this when I thought i was checking off every box.
IMG_0539.jpeg
IMG_0538.jpeg
IMG_0537.jpeg
IMG_0554.jpeg
IMG_0553.jpeg
IMG_0551.jpeg
IMG_0550.jpeg
Pics are quite blurry but first two show signs of secondary bacterial lesions associated with brooklynella.
Before arriving at brook as a symptom, due to pics, do you see clown's color faded, loss of appetite, Unusual behavior, increased labor rate and weird wobbly swimming pattern ?

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some more pictures just now before the lights went off. Neither of the clowns seem to be eating. I fed them yesterday just before I moved them from QT over to the display and they both ate great and showed no signs of any issue.
I also noticed last night that both clowns were huddled in the top corner of the display tank and this evening I decided that maybe this was due to too high of flow. I have a MP10 in the 20 gallon AIO and it was set on Lagoon mode at 45%. I have since turned it down to 10% to see if possibly the flow was too high and stressing them out. Could this be damage and stress from the move from netting and transferring them?

Attachments

• IMG_0589 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0589 (1).jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0592 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0592 (1).jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0593 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0593 (1).jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0601.jpeg
    IMG_0601.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0593.jpeg
    IMG_0593.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0592.jpeg
    IMG_0592.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0589.jpeg
    IMG_0589.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 17

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The browner clown has weird raised mucus plugs - not sure how to account for that, it is too large to be ich and brooklynella is usually more like sheets of mucus.

Not eating is a serious problem. Is the fire fish eating o.k.? That the clowns stopped eating when they were moved sort of implies something changed with their environment when moved, OR they were getting sick in the previous tank and it was just weirdly coincidental that it showed up just when you moved them.

Because formalin is so tough to get, quarantine protocols don’t control brooklynelka very well.

Jay

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The browner clown has weird raised mucus plugs - not sure how to account for that, it is too large to be ich and brooklynella is usually more like sheets of mucus.

Not eating is a serious problem. Is the fire fish eating o.k.? That the clowns stopped eating when they were moved sort of implies something changed with their environment when moved, OR they were getting sick in the previous tank and it was just weirdly coincidental that it showed up just when you moved them.

Because formalin is so tough to get, quarantine protocols don’t control brooklynelka very well.

Jay
Thanks for the input.

The firefish is eating just fine. The clowns will swim towards the food and just not eat it. I have turned down the flow and tried to make it as calm in there as possible to hopefully see them eating tomorrow.

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried feeding again this morning and neither clown is taking food. Maybe a small bite or two, but nothing like they were through the entire QT process. Tried brine as well as a mixture I had made up of brine, mysis with garlic and selcon mixed in. Firefish is still eating great. I took a few more pictures as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0606.jpeg
    IMG_0606.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0609.jpeg
    IMG_0609.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0624.jpeg
    IMG_0624.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0625.jpeg
    IMG_0625.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 14

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried feeding again this morning and neither clown is taking food. Maybe a small bite or two, but nothing like they were through the entire QT process. Tried brine as well as a mixture I had made up of brine, mysis with garlic and selcon mixed in. Firefish is still eating great. I took a few more pictures as well.
That is a bit more distinctive like brooklynella. Still, it seems like a mild infection, I think the fish should still be eating at this point.

Can you post a video of the clowns swimming,
Do you have access to formalin?

Jay

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bit more distinctive like brooklynella. Still, it seems like a mild infection, I think the fish should still be eating at this point.

Can you post a video of the clowns swimming,
Do you have access to formalin?

Jay
Here are videos of both fish. The smaller clown seems to like to hang out in the corner at the moment while the larger one stays around the overhang.

I have been communicating on humblefish forum with him also and he is leaning towards infection of some kind. I am preparing a freshwater dip with tap water and prime to dechlorinate and then once the baking soda is done cooking I will add that to buffer up the PH. I am not near a large fish store so I am not sure of what antibiotics to get and dont have anything on hand except for general cure and metroplex. I can order in formalin or others but wont have them until next week.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.mp4
    5.5 MB
  • IMG_0677.mp4
    13.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is formalin , you go to fish shop buy.
Sorry - Prazipro does not contain any formalin, it doesn’t work against brooklynella.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are videos of both fish. The smaller clown seems to like to hang out in the corner at the moment while the larger one stays around the overhang.

I have been communicating on humblefish forum with him also and he is leaning towards infection of some kind. I am preparing a freshwater dip with tap water and prime to dechlorinate and then once the baking soda is done cooking I will add that to buffer up the PH. I am not near a large fish store so I am not sure of what antibiotics to get and dont have anything on hand except for general cure and metroplex. I can order in formalin or others but wont have them until next week.
With the rapid breathing and the stilted swimming, I’m leaning more and more to this being Brooklynella. Formalin is the best treatment, but is very tough to get and dangerous to use. Can you get ruby reef rally pro?

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update -

Monitored both fish today. Neither show any visible signs of an issues on their body. The larger clown in QT is behaving just like before it was moved, eating and going about his business as normal. The smaller clown is the display is still eating but minimally. At both feedings he may have taken 2-3 PE Mysis pellets, but wouldn't touch the frozen brine. Firefish is eating everything else so I think he is doing fine.

The clown in the display seems to still not be confortable in the display, spending most of the day hiding in or near the rocks, only coming out and swimming for short periods. Maybe he is still just settling in?

Thanks for all the input.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back