Clown fish swollen eye

Ejb2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my clownfish has not been acting normal. Over the past day his eye is very swollen and does not seem to be taking food. Any thing I can do to save him

20210712_211845_HDR.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The cause is usually an injury - or a bacterial infection - or both. especially if it is a new fish - you could remove it to a QT tank and treat with antibiotics. There are numerous options. The fact that he/she is not eating well suggests it may be more of a systemic problem rather than just an injury. There are numerous antibiotics that can be used. I would consider asking your LFS for the best option. Most incidences of this I have seen have related to injury - and bullying - and the fish gets better with no treatment. Hope this helps. @Jay Hemdal may be able to help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my clownfish has not been acting normal. Over the past day his eye is very swollen and does not seem to be taking food. Any thing I can do to save him

20210712_211845_HDR.jpg
Is it just one eye swollen? Usually, a fish will still eat in that case, so the fish may have other issues. One treatment for the eye would be erythromycin, maracyn, in a treatment tank.
Jay

OP
OP
E

Ejb2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just one eye swollen? Usually, a fish will still eat in that case, so the fish may have other issues. One treatment for the eye would be erythromycin, maracyn, in a treatment tank.
Jay
Yes just one eye. Thought my tomato clown got him where he wants all 6 of my nems to be his, but not eating is what I think is a issue. I tried to net him but no chance. His eye is getting bigger and bigger. I don't want stress him out to much but his eye looks worse. Any meds I could add that won't kill my coral? Or should just keep trying to net him?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just one eye. Thought my tomato clown got him where he wants all 6 of my nems to be his, but not eating is what I think is a issue. I tried to net him but no chance. His eye is getting bigger and bigger. I don't want stress him out to much but his eye looks worse. Any meds I could add that won't kill my coral? Or should just keep trying to net him?
Sorry, there really aren't any true medications that would be safe with your corals - there lots of reef safe "tonics" out there, but they don't have much science behind them.
You don't want to damage the fish by chasing it around - indeed, one of the most common causes of eye problems like this is an injury. You might try catching it at night.....

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back