Clown Goby with ripped fin

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago, I noticed that my clown goby had been hidden, so I lifted up the rocks, and found him with ripped gill or pectoral fin, not sure which one.

It didn't look bad at all a few days ago, but I was able to get a good look at it, and its clearly gotten worse.

20240310_200852.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A few days ago, I noticed that my clown goby had been hidden, so I lifted up the rocks, and found him with ripped gill or pectoral fin, not sure which one.

It didn't look bad at all a few days ago, but I was able to get a good look at it, and its clearly gotten worse.

20240310_200852.jpg
High likelihood of aggression injury and a matter of " Who dunnit"
What other fish in tank and is goby eating?
With the severity of the injury, you may have to resort to treatment in a separate tank if breathing is affected using seachem Kanaplex or Ruby rally pro in display tank with neoplex being more effective and faster

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High likelihood of aggression injury and a matter of " Who dunnit"
What other fish in tank and is goby eating?
With the severity of the injury, you may have to resort to treatment in a separate tank if breathing is affected using seachem Kanaplex or Ruby rally pro in display tank with neoplex being more effective and faster
I don't believe it's aggression, because the only other fish I have in the tank is a firefish.

I have hermits, but I don't believe they did it.

I have also seen heavy breathing, but I forgot to mention that...

It's hard to tell if it's eaten, but it hasn't come out during feeding, but I did try to spot feed it in it's hiding spot, but don't know if he ate any of it.

Edit: I don't really have another tank at the moment, and in my display is also a cleaner shrimp.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't believe it's aggression, because the only other fish I have in the tank is a firefish.

I have hermits, but I don't believe they did it.

I have also seen heavy breathing, but I forgot to mention that...

It's hard to tell if it's eaten, but it hasn't come out during feeding, but I did try to spot feed it in it's hiding spot, but don't know if he ate any of it.
I can see the firefish goby chasing it. Fish often on their best behavior in your presence and one way to possibly catch this is to set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time. Review the video and see who it may be and it can be a straight injury

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the firefish goby chasing it. Fish often on their best behavior in your presence and one way to possibly catch this is to set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time. Review the video and see who it may be and it can be a straight injury
Ok, I will try that tomorrow.

What's the best way to treat it in the DT, with shrimp and crabs?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20240310_200852.jpg
Is the issue just on the fish’s left side, or is it visible on both sides? One side only points to an injury, as gill infections would affect both more or less equally.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the issue just on the fish’s left side, or is it visible on both sides? One side only points to an injury, as gill infections would affect both more or less equally.
Just the left side.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a good video of him today.

Is there any way I can treat it in DT with inverts, or if not would it be possible to get a bucket or bin, and add a sponge filter?

Also, I wouldn't be able to treat him til at least this weekend, unless if there's a way I can gets meds super fast. Will that be ok?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a good video of him today.

Is there any way I can treat it in DT with inverts, or if not would it be possible to get a bucket or bin, and add a sponge filter?

Also, I wouldn't be able to treat him til at least this weekend, unless if there's a way I can gets meds super fast. Will that be ok?

There does seem to be some growth on the base of the fin - but there isn’t any way to know if it is bacterial or fungal. Bacterial infections are more common.
These are best treated with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic, but those shouldn’t be used in a display tank with invertebrates.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There does seem to be some growth on the base of the fin - but there isn’t any way to know if it is bacterial or fungal. Bacterial infections are more common.
These are best treated with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic, but those shouldn’t be used in a display tank with invertebrates.
Thanks for the reply.

Does it need immediate attention?

To treat him, can I put him in a bucket or tub, or what will work best?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I can’t guess as to the outcome of this. Generally, just moving a sick fish to a bucket isn’t a good idea - too difficult to maintain good water quality in that small of a volume of water. A dedicated quarantine with an operating bio filter is really what you need.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

Its 50/50 with the injury on a small and delicate fish like this. Seachem Kanaplex often absorbed by fish is best bet but as Jay stated - Hard to suggest outcome. Breeder box will isolate fish but not address the issue best done in a separate tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back