Clownfish acting strange?

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a clownfish that rarely ventures more than an inch off of the glass of the tank, he seems to be doing laps around the tank! I’ve had him for about 3 weeks now and he’s still small only around an inch. I think it might be a flow problem. I have a Tidal 75 HOB filter that runs about 350 GPH and a powerhear that runs about 800 GPH. He does seem to struggle a little bit swimming into the current and has to swim very hard to make it through certain sections. He is eating fine tho. It is a 40 gallon Tank

B26DD8EC-D2CA-4746-AFB1-5D6E3D243C82.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vids on mobile are always buggy - YouTube links tend to work better.
That said, clowns tend to do weird things so I wouldn’t be too worried, it looks fine in the picture.

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vids on mobile are always buggy - YouTube links tend to work better.
That said, clowns tend to do weird things so I wouldn’t be too worried, it looks fine in the picture.
Thanks! My green chromis seems to swim throughout the tank a lot more but he is also about an inch bigger. Should I get a new powerhead and lower the flow?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my humble opinion, if you have enough flow, and scape, and good parameters, let the fish figure it out. They have to figure out the ocean. Your tank is far less complex than that. When I try and change things to fix an issue, things tend to get sideways.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Videos are a bit short to be sure, but looking at the bubbles in the tank it might be that flow is a bit high for a little fellow. You could change position of powerhead, hide it a bit behind the rock or direct flow more down. Your tank seem small for 800gph powerhead. What size is your tank BTW?

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Videos are a bit short to be sure, but looking at the bubbles in the tank it might be that flow is a bit high for a little fellow. You could change position of powerhead, hide it a bit behind the rock or direct flow more down. Your tank seem small for 800gph powerhead. What size is your tank BTW?
It’s a 40 breeder

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back