Clownfish has blister on it. What should I do

chez471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this clownfish a while ago and I started realizing these blisters on it. What does it mean and how do I treat it?

IMG_0551.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this clownfish a while ago and I started realizing these blisters on it. What does it mean and how do I treat it?

IMG_0551.jpeg

Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

How many blisters does it have? I can see two on its right side gill.
Are the blisters clear or opaque? they look opaque to me.
Is the fish showing ANY other symptoms?
Are both clownfish getting along?

These look like Microsporidian cysts, called xenomas. Not all microsporidian infections are fatal, which is good, because there is no effective treatment for them.
These could also be bacterial abscesses, tough to see clearly with a fish in a net like that.

Jay

OP
OP
C

chez471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

How many blisters does it have? I can see two on its right side gill.
Are the blisters clear or opaque? they look opaque to me.
Is the fish showing ANY other symptoms?
Are both clownfish getting along?

These look like Microsporidian cysts, called xenomas. Not all microsporidian infections are fatal, which is good, because there is no effective treatment for them.
These could also be bacterial abscesses, tough to see clearly with a fish in a net like that.

Jay
They are more white the blisters and they seem to get along just well. And he seems fine. I made the mistake of getting 3 clowns so I had to separate one. But you’re saying there’s no treatment ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are more white the blisters and they seem to get along just well. And he seems fine. I made the mistake of getting 3 clowns so I had to separate one. But you’re saying there’s no treatment ?

There is no treatment if they are microsporidians, but I can't confirm if they are that or not without a microscope. If they are bacterial nodules, a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or Kanaplex could be tried.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Being bacterial, you can use either seachem Kanaplex Or Maracyn2. Will take a day or two to start taking effect

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back