Clownfish has something on one fin

meowghan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just noticed that my clownfish has something on her fin, and she hasn’t been using it. It looks almost stringy and firmly attached. She’s been swimming normally otherwise and eating normally, but she just won’t use this fin. I had a big aiptasia that I just removed today, so I didn’t know if that could cause an injury, or if it’s some sort of parasite. Besides CUC, the only other things in the tank are a watchman goby and pistol shrimp, that are both fine and don’t have this problem. I haven’t added any new items or fish into the tank since I got this clown about 6 months ago. Thanks in advance for the help!
IMG_2675.jpeg
IMG_2678.jpeg IMG_2679.jpeg IMG_2680.jpeg IMG_2684.jpeg IMG_2685.jpeg

OP
OP
meowghan

meowghan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this video from what I took those screenshots from. I’m not sure if this is helpful

Attachments

• 66EFA614-75E5-4FA3-B3FD-C5596F41A447.mov
    9.6 MB

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the photo, this looks like mucus or perhaps an infection? Do you see any sign of an open wound or does it look superficial to you. If sign of infection, treatment with an antibiotic like kanaplex in a QT would be appropriate. If superficial, close observation for a day or two would be OK. Just watch for behavioral changes and be prepared to react quickly.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white material seems to be inside the fin, so not a likely area to be stung by the anemone or snapped at by the shrimp.
The not using the fin is worrisome. It could be a bacterial infection, but I’m not sure.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ay first I though bacterial but may be heavy mucus coating. Best way to confirm is a 5 minute freshwater dip in same temp as display tank. If no change, move the fish to quarantine a treat with seachem kanaplex
What corals and fish do you have in the tank?

OP
OP
meowghan

meowghan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the photo, this looks like mucus or perhaps an infection? Do you see any sign of an open wound or does it look superficial to you. If sign of infection, treatment with an antibiotic like kanaplex in a QT would be appropriate. If superficial, close observation for a day or two would be OK. Just watch for behavioral changes and be prepared to react quickly.
It’s superficial- it looks like something is almost stuck onto the back of the fin, and the front of it kind of lost its color and you can see whatever is on the back. Thank you for the reply!

OP
OP
meowghan

meowghan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white material seems to be inside the fin, so not a likely area to be stung by the anemone or snapped at by the shrimp.
The not using the fin is worrisome. It could be a bacterial infection, but I’m not sure.
Jay
It’s on the outside, it almost looks stuck on. She started using it when I put her in a freshwater dip, so she *can* use it, but just decides not to. Thank you!

OP
OP
meowghan

meowghan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ay first I though bacterial but may be heavy mucus coating. Best way to confirm is a 5 minute freshwater dip in same temp as display tank. If no change, move the fish to quarantine a treat with seachem kanaplex
What corals and fish do you have in the tank?
I did a freshwater dip where she started moving it, but it didn’t really seem to change whatever is on her fin. But thank you, will do! I just have live rock, which unfortunately had an aiptasia which would not die. So that’s why I wasn’t sure if that could have caused injury. The only other fish is a watchman goby with his pistol shrimp, then just CUC. Thank you!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I did a freshwater dip where she started moving it, but it didn’t really seem to change whatever is on her fin. But thank you, will do! I just have live rock, which unfortunately had an aiptasia which would not die. So that’s why I wasn’t sure if that could have caused injury. The only other fish is a watchman goby with his pistol shrimp, then just CUC. Thank you!
Aptasia- No.
If still on rock, Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

OP
OP
meowghan

meowghan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia- No.
If still on rock, Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
perfect, thank you, I will try this! No matter how many times I use aiptasia x and it “explodes” it always still comes back.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
perfect, thank you, I will try this! No matter how many times I use aiptasia x and it “explodes” it always still comes back.
Rarely does Aptasia X work

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back